Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compatible Cards With My Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ryleycampbell

ryleycampbell

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:19 PM

I'm a moderate newbie here who thinks i got the short end from the guy who built my new system. Long story short, i have a ASUS P5ND2 SLI Nforce 4 Intel Edition motherboard, but the system only came with an Nvidia GeForce 6600 installed. I want to upgrade the card, but not sure how high of a card it will take.

Does the Nforce 4 determine how high of a card i can put in it? I was looking at like a 7600GT or maybe a 7800. Will my board accept those cards? Yes, yes i know...wait till next year, Vista, DX10 all that stuff, but if i got a good performance, reasonably priced card now i can live with the fact that it wont be cutting edge, but as long as it will suffice for a while, its good enough for me.

I've been researching online before i decided to post, but cant find my answer...any help would be appreciated.

Specs:

Pentium D Dual Core 3.4GHZ

2GB DDR2 667MHZ RAM

160 GB Hard drive

256 MB GeForce 6600

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:35 PM

Well it looks like you have a really nice computer and I would say it could probably handle most any graphics card.I looked up that motherboard and you have a PCIx16 slot which is currently the best (I think). So as long as the card says PCIex16 it should be compatible.

Edited by Sterling14, 11 November 2006 - 04:36 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 ryleycampbell

ryleycampbell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:24 PM

Thats great news and what i wanted to hear...thanks for the help.

Is it fairly easy to install a new card? I've never done one before, but i can follow instructions and what i've read so far shows that most cards are fairly easy to install and update...

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:47 PM

Just open your computer case, and if your video card is removable, unscrew the one screw holding it in place, pull out the card (gently) and insert your other card in it's place, and put the screw back in to hold it in place. It's easy. You'll do it in a few minutes or less. Really, it's not hard at all.

Just make sure when you put it in, it's fully seated in the slot. Then boot it up, and insert the cd or whatever way you have to install the drivers for it.

You'll have it up and running in no time flat.

#5 ryleycampbell

ryleycampbell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:30 PM

So i got a new board and a Geforce 7900GS for my computer. The question is if it is okay to re-use my Pentium D in my new board for awhile until i want to throw down cash for a Core 2 Duo or something? My new board, an Asus P5N32-SLI Premium, is listed as supporting both the Pentium D and Core 2 Duo. I've read some things stating that you can pop a processor from one system into another, but just wanted some new opinions. Thanks for the help.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:21 AM

Yes, you can. Just remember to re-apply the thermal paste between the CPU and the HSF every time you take it off.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users