Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Installing From Cd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

Hi Guys,

I recently moved overseas .... and wanted to bring as much stuff as possible with me ... but to cut down on space, i had a bright idea regarding storage of games etc.
An example .... i took Command & Conquer Generals and Zero Hour ( 4 discs in total ) and took all the files and copied them to one DVD, same info but with a quarter of the space.
Seemed like a good idea at the time.
Now, i've just used WinISO to try re-create the original cd's by burning the image to blank CDRW's.
I pop the first one in, and it works a treat .. it autoruns, i go through the various options, tick the boxes and away it goes, up until the point where it asks for disc 2, which was created successfully in the exact same manner, however, it just keeps asking me to insert disc 2 and never recognises its there.
The disc is fine, no scratches or anything, and through windows explorer i can browse its contents ... but it just wont pick up where disc one left off in terms of installation.

Any ideas on this one ??

Thanks in advance ....
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 02:24 PM

Somehow, after reading other posts on this forum section, i get the impression that people are gonna assume im trying to pirate games or get hold of something gratis.

This is certainly not the situation, and i have always paid for any software/games i have on my system.

As an artist myself, i know only too well the problems posed by copyright infringement and unlawful duplication of material.

If you know how to solve my problem, it would be very much appreciate it, however, if i have broken the code of ethics attached to this great site, i apologise, and please feel free to remove my original post.

If you feel it necessary to add to this topic, simply to call me either cheap, or criminal, please save yourself the bother, beause you dont know me or anything about me and any assumption you are jumping to is wrong.
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:22 PM

You can however, go to their web site and explain it to them. I'm sure they can verify your claim, and should be more than willing to help you solve the issue.

But, it's strange to not take your originals, but take copies. You know better than anyone else the reason for that. But, I can tell you this... there are copy protections on those games, and even if you can read every file and the whole cd structure.. that doesn't mean it'll install.

Lastly, the method you used really screwed you up. You can't just copy/paste game cd's, and think you've made an exact duplicate. It doesn't work like that anymore. You'd be luck to copy the original cd to your hd and get it running from there, which 9 out of 10 times, it'll fail.

#4 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:05 AM

Thanks Walkman, I'll check out the official site and see if they can verify my details.

As i said, the reason i took duplicates was to save space while moving overseas. You can fit a lot more data to a DVD than a CD, and i also have a couple of blue ray discs which i used to copy a lot of material i had on cd originally ... it just saved physical space while travelling long distances.

Thanks for the tip, will check out the sites individually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users