Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless To Wired

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikeyy

mikeyy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 01:26 PM

Question one, I have two computers, a desk top and a notebook. Can I hook just the notebook to wireless internet? If I can what exactly do I need to buy. My notebook already has a wireless card in it. I know this because I was, for a time, picking up internet off various neighbors. I already have the desktop hookedup to DSL

Thanks Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:00 PM

Well, I haven't worked with wireless too much, but for one, I know you need a wireless router. It might have been included already with your dsl setup, If thats the case, you would then just need to go configure your router. If you don't have one, they're around $50-100 or something.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:34 PM

Sorry if I'm late, but you could use a wireless access point if you are happy with your current router. If you just want to add wireless capabilities.

http://justdeals.stores.yahoo.net/wg602nar.html
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:59 AM

You will need to look for either a Wireless Modem or Wireless Access point. Both are going to be arround much the same sort of price. There are some feature that you will want to have in the one you choose. Mac Address filtering. This is a very seure way of making sure that no other user can access your network. Most have WEP but this is not really secure and can be cracked in minutes. WPA is safer but still not cast iron. Mac Address filtering will stop any PC that is not assigned from even seeing there is a Wireless access point.

Just a few things to think about when making a choice.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users