Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Card Files Missing

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew.

Matthew.

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:34 PM

I have just reformatted my computer and reinstalled windows media center and for some reason, it does not detect my computer's ethernet driver as well as everything in the "other devices." So, now, I cannot connect to the internet. If someone could help me, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks again in advance.

Also, here are my computer specs:

IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.93 GHZ
IntelŪ 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E

If there is any other information you need, feel free to ask for it. I have no idea what to include. Oh, yeah, I tried using bel arc advisor on the computer but it doesn't run. It just says that its uploading the information but then nothing happens.

Edited by Matthew., 11 November 2006 - 01:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:47 AM

The drivers included with windows are basically generic drivers. If your nic is attached to your motherboard you should have a cd with all the needed drivers for your pc. If you installed your nic yourself you should have also gotten a cd or floppy with the needed drivers. If you dont have any of that then simply go to the manufacters website of either your nic or motherboard and have a search for your needed drivers there.

#3 Matthew.

Matthew.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:59 AM

Hi, theguy.

You are definitely right but the thing is that, the computer never came with all the required CDs for some reason. (Pshh, never buy from MDG.) Anyways, how would I be able to find out about my NIC card or motherboard model?

I don't know much about computers though I wish I did.

Thanks for the help.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:14 AM

Use this free utility (doesn't require installation) to generate a report on your system specs. I suspect that you'll find that you've got an Intel NIC card - but we'll still need the model number to find the correct drivers.

Then post the system specs here and we'll figger out what driver you'll need.

http://www.gtopala.com/index.html

Or, you could go into Device Manager, click on the device, open it's Properties, the click on the Driver tab and click on Update - it may work for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Matthew.

Matthew.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:44 AM

Hey, usasma.

Thanks a lot for helping me. I really appreciate it. I have to transfer files through my mp3 onto my computer so it might take a while for any response. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience.

Here my my computer specs for the motherboard:

Manufacturor: Intel Corporation
Model: D915GAV
Version: AAC64137-400

Chipset Vendor: Intel Corporation
Chipset Model: 82915G/GV/GL/P/PL/GL Grantsdale Host Bridge/DRAM controller
South Bridge: 82801FB/FR (ICH6/ICH6R) LPC Interface Bridge

If you need anymore info, let me know. i'm getting quite tired running up and down the stairs trying to remember. LOL! Omg, why didn't I jsut copy it on notepad! o.O

EDIT: Oh yeah, I tried the device manager; update thingy. That doesn't quite work because it still asks for the installation Cds, either automatically or manually (advanced).

Edited by Matthew., 12 November 2006 - 11:53 AM.

#6 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:18 PM

Assuming your nic is attached to your motherboard. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...15gav/index.htm

Just select "Latest BIOS and driver updates" and follow the onscreen instructions. Let us know the results.

#7 Matthew.

Matthew.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:33 PM

Hey, theguy.

I tried what you told me to do and I downloaded the "LAN: IntelŪ PRO Network Connections."

When I tried installing the drivers on my other computer, it says The windows installer service could not be accessed.

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks again for your help.

#8 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:56 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319624. This may or may not help.

#9 Matthew.

Matthew.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:17 PM

Hello, again.

I have tried all the steps but none of them seems to resolve my problem. What do I do now about my Ethernet Controller?

-Matthew.

Edited by Matthew., 12 November 2006 - 01:21 PM.

#10 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:08 PM

The next step now is to simply delete it from the Device Manager.

Just delete it from the Device Manager and either

a. hit Refresh and see if it'll recognise it as a new piece of hardware or
b. Go to Control Panel>Add Hardware and let it find it for you, or you simply tell it what you're installing and install it that way. You will need to have the drivers for it though.

Doing it this way, you should be presented with a list of Ethernet Device names... find the one you need... if it's not there, you can always do a generic card install... and then after it's installed, go and download the correct drivers for it.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:23 AM

You got the right download (here's the link again: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...on&lang=eng )

Try re-downloading the file again - it could be that the first one was corrupted.

Also, as Walkman suggests, delete the device in Device Manager - then reboot. Windows should detect the new device and install the default drivers for it (which may work just fine for you) - if so, then you won't need the drivers that you've downloaded.

As a basic troubleshooting procedure, we try to first install the drivers. Then, if that doesn't work, we try to uninstall them and then install a fresh copy. This generally works well with devices also as long as you Uninstall it and DO NOT Disable it!

Edited by usasma, 14 November 2006 - 09:25 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Matthew.

Matthew.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:12 PM

Hi there.

Sorry for not replying earlier. I have been really busy with school. I will give it a try right now and i'll post the results.
Thanks a lot Walkman and usasma.

-Matthew.

#13 Matthew.

Matthew.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:25 PM

Hi.

I am back with the results and unfortunately, the results aren't very nice. I believe that this is due to the fact that I did not install Media Center with windows service pack 2? I know the SP2 has nothing to do with it but when I was reinstalling windows, it did ask me to insert a SP2 CD, but I didn't have it.

So, when everything is done, when I checked the control panel in the, "Add/Remove Rrograms," there is nothing installed on the computer; no media player, windows installer, or any of the necessary components.
So, do you think I should download and transfer windows SP2 onto that computer?

Also, since there is no internet, windows has not been activated yet. Its running very bad quality. The start bar and menu isn't windows Xp theme. It doesn't even have the windows XP theme option in the properties.
Its like the CD came half assed. *Excuse my language.

-Matthew.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:11 PM

Usually the computer will also come with a drivers CD. This will supply the necessary drivers to make Windows work with the hardware devices on your system.

When you install Windows, it installs some generic drivers just to get the system running - but you'll need the more appropriate drivers to get good function out of your hardware devices.

Also, SP2 is a necessary update to Windows XP. It includes both security and performance updates. Be sure to update your other drivers to the latest versions before trying to install SP2 tho' - most problems with SP2 are caused by outdated drivers. (this is because SP2 was a huge fix for XP)

#15 Matthew.

Matthew.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:37 PM

Hello, usasma.

Oh, wow. The only CDs that I see is the Microsft Works bundle, Windows XP Media Centre; CDs 1 and 2, Benq LCD Moniter CD, Wireless Cable Router CD, and Benq Software disc. The computer barely came with any CDs.

So, if I require the extra components for windows, would I have to download everything for it? Because as of now, the computer is being very, how shall I say, annoying? Its hard to work with right now knowing that there are barely any components installed on the computer.

Another question, is isn't Media Centre supposed to be more equipped? Because when I installed the regular Windows XP Home Edition on the computer I am currently using; voila! Everything is back, maybe except sound drivers and such but internet explorer and all those other components are there. I would install XP Home edition on the other computer but I don't have a CD key for it. The CD key is for Media Centre. Or would it work for both? I see no point of Media Centre right now.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I have also tried running a new copy of the ethernet controller drivers but windows installer still cannot be accessed.

Edited by Matthew., 16 November 2006 - 09:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users