Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tcp Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:00 PM

Hi, first of all, i'm pretty good at networking and have tried most of the basic things but any help would be welcome.
Anyway, I have some programs and games that just will not work online. Like with Age of Empires II (yes, a classic) whenever I try to connect using an online ip or through gamespy, in the game, it says its 'connecting' and then just shows a blank box in the 'availible games' menu thing. Also, it doesn't work with programs like emule. I think all my problems are in the TCP. When I run the tcp connection test in emule, it says it cannot connect with my tcp. So I went into our router, did the port forwarding that emule suggested and even tried the DMZ (to unblock all ports) and it still didnt work. I also tried unlocking the ports in the firewall even though it should unblock them when the unblock dialog pops up, i have also tried it without a firewall. I also followed the instructions at portforward.com and stuff and I'm running out of ideas. Maybe my isp just blocks that kind of tcp thing.
I'm confused though. Some games like Age of Mythology, serious sam, etc. work perfectly.
Also, i use emule for sharing programming projects and stuff with a friend who is going to host a private server and its easier to do it there than emailing it or something.

isp - txox (local satalite/radio tower cheap internet. As fast as dsl)

router - Linksys WRT54G (not using wireless)

firewalls - tried window built in, nvidia, and none.

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:25 AM

This'll take a step by step approach to isolate the problem.

First, reproduce the problem.
Then, using the exact same components, remove something from the chain of devices that access the web.

Generally it's easiest to start with the local system (firewall, antivirus, security tools etc). Once you've eliminated that, then move on to the hardware.

First, remove the router and connect straight to the PC - does the problem go away? If so, then it's the router, If not, then the router may still be a part of the problem. Then try these steps with another PC.

Here's some links to "repair tools" that may help (but I haven't used them myself):
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:46 PM

Ooo, a response... Thank you. I'll try that. Anyway, I have contacted my Isp and hopefully it will be fixed soon. I'll report later. (Not the easiest question in the world, but thanks usasma.)

#4 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:09 AM

Update: tried some of the tools but they weren't really for my problem/didn't work. I got a call from my isp and they said that they don't have that type of firewall and ALL their ports were open. They also said that they have been having many problems with this linksys router (which may have also caused the random internet turn-offs that i haven't thought much about) and they will replace the router to a d-link. I am about to try it without the router to see if thats the problem. Thanks.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

My wife's office used the same Linksys router for the longest time without any problems (but we lost it to a lightning strike and went with a NetGear router instead).

If it works without the router, don't leave the computer connected without supervision. The router has a hardware firewall built into it which catches a lot of the bad incoming traffic.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users