Hi "Miss" :
The bleepingcomputer "tutorial" on Ad-Aware is somewhat "dated", being done in Apr 2004.
It would be wise to follow the "advice" given by "Corrine", the former Administrator of the
Lavasoft Ad-Aware Support Forums, which was posted on the Landzdown forums July 2005 :
"1) Run the Webupdate feature. (Click on the Globe icon > Click connect > Click OK > Click Finish.)
2) Set up the Configurations (Click the gear wheel at the top) as follows:
General Button > Safety & Settings: Check (Green) all three.
Advanced Button > Logfile Detail Level: All options under this should be checked (Green).
Tweak Button >
> Scanning Engine: Check "Obtain command line of scanned processes"
> Log Files: Please check only
* "Include basic Ad-Aware settings in logfile"
* "Include additional Ad-Aware settings in logfile"
* "Include reference summary in logfile"
> Click on "Proceed"
3) To start the scan, Click > "Scan Now"
> Deselect "Search for negligible risk entries" as negligible risk entries (MRU's) are not considered to be a threat.
> Select "Search for low-risk threats"
> Select "Perform full system scan"
> Click Next
A full scan is the in-depth scan mode that scans your whole computer for Spyware infections.
When performing a full scan the following scan settings are used:
* Full Memory Scan is performed
* Registry Scan is performed
* Deep Registry scan is performed
* Cookie-Scan is performed
* Favorites are scanned
* Hosts file is scanned
* Conditional scans are performed
* Archive files are scaned
* All fixed drives are scanned "