Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building My Frist Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Oxycotin

Oxycotin

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:48 PM

hey, Im new to this forum and was wondering if i could get some help.
heres my deal:
I want to build my frist computer, Im pretty low tech level, but im sure I can do it, the only thing I've never really messed with/know about is the motherboard and the power supply.

This computer would be pretty much for gaming, and I have some things I'd like to stick with.
The best pentium processer for the money, it has to saty competitive for a long time(I've had a bad exp with AMD)
A VERY expandable motherboard for future upgrades(the mother board also has to allow for 2 Nvidia(or other 512M video cards)
Im guessing a big power supply for the ammount of hardware I want to shove in it
A big expandable and well ventilated case(looking good would be a plus:P with 2 cd drive slots)
I'd like the mother board to also allow for mabye 6Gb or ram, but 4 seems to be the norm and is ok

I'd like to do this all for under $1000 :thumbsup: I know that won't happen with TWO 512M video cards, so im going to start off with one for now.

Min requirements:
2 gb ram
2,800Ghz processor
80Gb hard drive(I still havn't used over half my 40GB on my current comp, so what the hell not important)
1 CdRW drive
Mother board and power supply (duh)
video card need not apply at the moment, I still have my Gforce 6800 that works fine so I can wait till next year to spend $800 on Twin 512's

So can i do it? and newegg is where I'll get most of my stuff, But belive me I'll look up ol ebay 2.
1.case $?
2. power suply $?
3.motherboard $?
4.Processer $?
5.ram $?
6. Video card $?-mabye

any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

p.s I don't understand Front side buss Mhz's EX: 1gb ram 533mhz FSB, what is front side bus and is a higher number better? and sorry about my spelling:P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:57 AM

There are several issues that need to be addressed before we can get down to figuring out the best computer for you.
  • The GHz of the processor isn't a measure of performance. You could get a 2.8GHz Celeron processor which would be one of the worst gaming processors you can find, or you could get a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo processor which would be one of the best gaming processor on the planet. So focusing on GHz isn't a good idea, you should instead focus on how it performs in games.
  • The amount of memory on a graphics card does not indicate performance, only the size of textures it can use. There are 512MB graphics cards out there that suck in gaming. What you'll want to look at is the cards gaming performance.
  • If you're going to build a whole computer with your $1000 limit, ie you need a monitor, speakers, mouse and keyboard as well you won't be able to get a good gaming computer.
  • Putting two high-end graphics cards in a $1000 system is a waste of money, They are just gonna sit there do nothing while the rest of the computer keeps you back.
  • Getting a $400 graphics card today and another $400 in a couple of months is a bad idea. The next generation of graphics card will start showing up, and a single one of those will be faster than two $400 graphics cards, plus they will support DirectX 10 and possibly some physics processing.
  • Going over 2GB of RAM with a 32-bit version of Windows has a bunch of complications. To do so you'll want a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, which will have backwards compatibility problems.
  • Finding a 80GB hard-drive can be hard, they are so small. Games are also getting bigger. There are games out there that need 10GB of hard-drive space.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:11 PM

4gigs of ram is not the norm. Very, VERY few people use 4 gigs of ram. 1gig is the norm, and 2 is more than enough for now.

Like Mr Alpha said, 80gbs HDD are very hard to find now. And you'll definately need more than that. I'd say 160 at least.

Finally, what you're asking for, will cost way beyond $1000. You're probably looking at around $2000, at least.

Here's a basic build that meets your budget and should be able to play any and all DX9 games. Although if you plan on upgrading to DX10 later on, you'll have to change some things.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz 2M sharing L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
$183.50

ECS NFORCE 570 SLIT-A (V5.1) Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
$99.99

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$44.99

eVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Video Card
$185.99

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
$252.00

ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT ATX12V 500W Power Supply
$109.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3320620A 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB
$94.99

So that comes out to $971.50

Course you'll still need to buy some case fans, and DVD drives.

Edited by groovicus, 29 November 2006 - 10:10 PM.

#4 Oxycotin

Oxycotin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:25 PM

hey guys thanks alot for the info, I've already learned somethings.
theres a few things I don't think I said though.
1 I planed on using windows Vista
2 don't nead a video card at the moment, so count it out of the $1000 build.(same goes for cd/dvd drives)
3 I would like the option of intalling 4 Gb of ram, but i'll be going for a year at least with just 2, I may never even put 4 in, but I'd like to be able to.
4 Im aware of the GHZ's not meaning much, but I didn't think I could afford a dual-core, guess i was wrong:P
5, don't need a mouse key board or moniter,( I could fill a room with all the computer parts I can get my hands on, just to bad most of its dated:( )
6 320 gB for $95? ok you sold me. (btw though you can get 40GB anywhere and 80's, hell even walmart sells em for $40)

I have some more questions though, whats wrong with the 2 512 meg V cards? I guess i could save up and buy then both at once, and I know that most of the games out now, they'd just be sitting there. what if 2 years down the road(after the build) 512 isn't enough anymore, and im stuck behind everyone else? what Im saying is im WAY tired of buying a new computer every 3 years.(and its worth nothing either). I'd like to make a computer that will last me awhile. ya its probly a dream but i like over kill, just the way i am.

On to the next question, RAM, I know some aren't as good for gaming as others, but how do you tell? brand? FSB? DDR2? single channel?(if they still make it). And whats the best kind? I don't totaly understand how ram works, but I have 1 GB and it totaly sucks, my other computer has 512(same comp diferent ram) and can do so much more at once without slowing down.

Video cards #2, ok mabye 1GB of video card is overkill, but i'd like the option, I'll start with my old card(its pretty new) buy a 512 in a few months, and if i ever need more sell the 512, and buy 1GB of the lastest cards. this not ok?

thats about it, Im just looking for brand names i should buy, what models ect. basicly a parts list and someinfo on those parts.( You can get anything cheap once you know what to buy, just gotta look around for the best price)

Thanks alot for the help alpha, and any Imput would be great. Im gonna check on some of those parts now detox, got any idea's throw em my way.

Edited by Oxycotin, 11 November 2006 - 07:38 PM.

#5 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:21 PM

If you don't need the new video card. Then just bump the processor to a E6600, which is a high-end processor. And you can always look around for newer and better Nforce motherboards.

However, my suggestion is that you wait. If you can. Since Core 2 Duo Quadcores processors are already out, it's a good bet that prices for Core 2 Duos will definately drop soon. Mostly likely early next year. Quad SLI will probably also come out next year along with a new patch of better and cheaper DX10 cards. If you just wait a few months til spring. You can get a really good deal on a really good computer, one that's future-proof.

#6 Oxycotin

Oxycotin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:31 AM

o ya I can wait a while no problem, i figured it would take me at least 3-4 months to get the parts, whats a few more?
thanks man I'll just sit tight a bit and see if i can save the dough, I'll be back for help when im ready :thumbsup:

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:15 AM

http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/system-guide-200608.ars
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Slayer6571

Slayer6571

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:57 PM

if u r willing to spend about 200 or so bucks more (which is about the price of my build i plan to make, case and all) u can get a kick a** PC but unless u plan to keep up with the newest games for some time i wouldnt suggest that u use that good of a video card (the one u currently use is fine).

this is what Detox told me about my build:
1 good GPU(graphics processing unit) is better than 2 middle-range ones)

#9 Oxycotin

Oxycotin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:50 PM

Check this out:

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -
In Stock
$49.99 -$5.00 Instant $44.99

Intel BOXD975XBXLKR Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$274.99 $274.99

Thermaltake W0093RU ATX 12V 2.0 Version 500W Power Supply - Retail
$79.99 $79.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
$312.99 $312.99

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit $328.00 -$20.00 Instant $308.00

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM $74.99 $74.99

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler - Retail
$29.99 $29.99

Subtotal: $1,220.93

If I can get some of these parts on ebay, or wait for sales/price drops I can pull it off, and not to mention it will be a top-o-the line computer.:thumbsup:

what do you guys think of these parts? and how do I calculate my power supply? I picked a 500W, but I don't see any specifications on Wattage of the hardware so im a bit confused there.

#10 Slayer6571

Slayer6571

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

for the wattage, i would check out ur video card's manufacture's site. they usually have that info on their site. for my build which is similar (in performance) to urs, im using a 500w. My GPU is going to be a Evga Geforce 7950GT and Evga says to use a minimum of 400w (a friend told me to get a PSU with a slightly higher wattage incase i need to upgrade).

in your case, you should check your CPU and GPU to make sure the 500watts isnt overkill for your parts (which i highly doubt it will) but isnt too low (which i doubt even more)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users