Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 babalou

babalou

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:22 PM

i have 3 systems 1 desk top and 2 notebooks, 1 notebook is having problems accessing the internet?
>
i'm using a cable connection ( comcast) us robotics modem and linksys router
>
the notebook thats acting up is a compaq persiro r 3000, XP home
>
i uninstalled the broadband drivers and reinstalled them, i now show a full strenght via my linksys router wrts4g v6. but i'm still unable to connect
>
when i go to > run> command>ipconfig/all - it doesn't show any IP adress or gateway adress or anything?
>
the other 2 systems work fine so i'm sure its a setting or something on this notebook that i'm not aware of?
>
i'm about ready to reinstall the O/S
>
thanks for any help you might give to help me with this problem

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 10 November 2006 - 08:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Garcher

Garcher

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:39 PM

One thing you can try, go into your network connections. The connection that the computer is using right click and click on properties. That should bring up a screen and you should see TCP/IP. Click on it and you will get a screen for your IP address and other things. Click on the button for manually enter an IP and put in a IP address. I use 192.168.1.156. other numbers that have to be entered are next line down 255.255.255.0 gateway is 192.168.1.1 dns, there should be 2 lines and you will have to go into the router to find out what these numbers are, they are from comcast. If you are not sure how to get into the router,,,, in the address window in your internet explorer type 192.168.1.1 that should ge tyou to the router window, you have to type in a password,, the default password is admin,,,, I believe you should see the DNS numbers on the first screen but if not don't be afraid to click around til you see them. When you see the DNS numbers type them into the DNS in the TCP/IP. Hope that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users