Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:56 PM

hello,
i recently purchased and installed (yesterday) a WD MyBook external 160GB drive on my machine and it has been lagging quite a bit whenever the drive is on. just before when i was shutting down in an attempt to fix the problem by restarting my computer, i received a 'blue screen of death' stating that 'DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL' and it referenced the atapi.sys file. it also stated that this could be caused by newly installed hardware or software. im assuming the MyBook is the culprit here and im not sure what to do. i am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with i believe most of the updates installed. i am getting paranoid about this cos i want to backup my music on this drive. My motherboard is rather old (about 4 or 5 yrs) and i have 224 MB of SDRAM on an AMD 1.2 Ghz processor. i plan on upgrading sometime around the holidays but in the meantime i would like this drive to work. are there any drivers i have to update? BIOS settings to tweak?
any help would be appreciated! thanks!
JP

Edited by jetsetter, 10 November 2006 - 08:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:03 PM

Since the error addressed atapi.sys and your WD drive is USB (both involve motherboard/chipset drivers) and since your motherboard is older - I'd expect the most likely culprit to be your motherboard/chipset drivers.

You can get the updated drivers for it at the motherboard manufacturer's website.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jetsetter

jetsetter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:39 PM

thanks for your reply :thumbsup: i actually upgraded my motherboard BIOS about a week and a half ago. is that what you are referring to? or are there additional drivers i might need? do you know any examples of such updates that i might need? i hope that i dont need a new motherboard right away to solve the problem since i might be getting one of those closer to the holidays. im just wondering if you could give me an example of any of these updates if in fact that is the best fix for this problem (hoping that it will work!)
thanks again!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:23 AM

Chipset drivers are different than an updated bios flash and should be available from the manufacturer's site too.

#5 jetsetter

jetsetter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:56 PM

i have a VIA KT133A chipset.. should i just grab the new drivers from the VIA website? theres one set that was released in September 01 (4in1) and one that was just released less than two months ago (Hyperion).. im debating which one to install since my motherboard is 4/5 yrs old :/

Edited by jetsetter, 11 November 2006 - 08:07 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:37 AM

I would suspect that the 4in1 drivers will do the job nicely for you. While manufacturer's strive to provide backwards compatibility - I'm not real keen on trying to prove them wrong, so I err on the conservative side.

Besides, if the 4in1 doesn't work, then you can try the Hyperion drivers without having to go through the hassle of trying to force them to "downgrade".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users