Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Writer Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lurkynot

lurkynot

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:51 PM

Could someone lend some direction that would allow me to boot from my DVD I think that is what I want to do. I added some memory to my system and had to disconnect the IDE ribbon cable from the motherboard and as expected forgot to re-connect and rebooted the system only to discover that neither one of the DVD writers is recognized in Device Manager or My Computer. Needless to say my hard drive has assumed one of the letters that used to be assigned to one of the DVDs. Oh I am running XP in a GateWay setup. Thanks in advance. Also upon rebooting I noticed the GateWay screen that diplays the F2 and F10 options hangs for quite some time before launching XP. I suspect this has something to do with the temporary disconnect of the DVD writers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:57 PM

To boot from your DVD drive, all you need to do is reboot your computer, and while it's rebooting, hold the DEL key. That should take you to your BIOS setup. From there, all you need to do is tell it which deivce you want to boot from.

But, from what you explained, you're already booting up, and you're going into Windows, so I'm not sure that will fix your problem by booting up with the dvd/cd.

As far as your memory.
a. Do you have the correct memory for your computer? (it'll still load with the wrong memory, sometimes)
b. Have you taken out the memory cards, and re-seated them back in? (That could be a simple fix)
c. On some computers, during memory upgrades, you have to enter the BIOS and verify/change the settings to make sure your memory is recognised. Have you tried that?
d. Add the memory with only ONE dvd drive, and see how it responds.
e. Do you have the IDE drives set correctly? meaning from the jumper pins and the cables? Attaching them both to the cables in a incorrect way can cause that problem.
f. Disconnect both dvd drives and boot up, and see how the computer operates.

Since you're having memory problems, you can expect delays and possible errors when trying to do certain tasks.

I would do 1st step b, and step c, before I do anything. Try those methods 1st, and see what happens. It's worth a shot.

As far as downgrading back to SP1, you may have to repartition and (or) reformat your hd. Not saying you will have to, but you may create more of a headache than what it really is. Don't even think about the down-grading part. Your problem sounds, and is probably very simple to fix.

Edited by Walkman, 10 November 2006 - 07:03 PM.

#3 lurkynot

lurkynot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:11 PM

Thanks Walkman. I should have provided a bit more detail. The computer was working fine after the memory upgrade. The trouble started when I attempted to make a CD of some data and I noticed that neither of the 2 DVD writers I have were recognized by the Device Manager or showing up in My Computer then I realized I did not reconnect the IDE ribbon cable to the back of the slave DVD writer. I reconnected the cable and still no dice on the 2 DVDs. At this point the computer is running and usable except I cannot see either of the drives mentioned earlier. I am sure had I reconnected the IDE cable to the Motherboard she would up and runnong fine - could be wrong though. Any suggestion base donthis last detail? Thanks again for your help.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:49 PM

If you are sure that everythin is properly set,...

Goto the Device Manager, and DELETE/REMOVE the 2 DVD devices from there. Then hit the Refresh button. Your computer should find the NEW HARDWARE. If it doesn't, then reboot, and see what it says after rebooting.

[EDIT]
you may be asked to provide the drivers for those devices. Have your drivers ready.

Edited by Walkman, 10 November 2006 - 10:51 PM.

#5 lurkynot

lurkynot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:52 PM

Walkman, I took your advice and reset the memory sticks and unhooked the recently added DVD. That was the ticket. The original DVD came back on line and the system went thru the boot phase same time it did before any of the modifications. Now all I need to do is get the setup instructions for the new DVD and adjust the jumper settings accordingly and hopefully all goes well. I appreciate your help in this matter.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:13 PM

Glad to be of service.

Also, make sure that since you're going to be adding another dvd drive, you have the jumper pins on the one right now set to MASTER and the 2nd one set to SLAVE.

That should do it.

Actually, you can just plug in the other dvd drive, and when you boot up, the computer should recognize it, even without any software. If you have the software for it, fine. If not, there won't be any problems. I have 2 dvd drives in one of my computers, and one of them is a player, I never installed drivers for it. It's over a year now, and my computer recognizes it, and I've never had a problem.

If the other one is a burner, it's mostly the burning software that is going to get installed, even the regular drivers too, but your computer will recognize it even if no drivers are installed for it. I have about 10 spare cd/dvd drives and when I plug them up, the computer already will list them in the Device Manager, even their driver names (probably generic drivers)

But, all in all, if you have the drivers for it, go ahead and install them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users