Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start All Programs List

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KMCCAIN

KMCCAIN

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:08 PM

I have some programs on my list that I am not sure I need and don't know whether they were on my Dell computer originally or have been slipped in somehow since then. Some of them are: ABBYFineReader Tools, AbbyFineReader 5.0 Sprint, Digital Line Detect, Broadcom Advance Control Suite V6.12... Also, do I need RealONe Player if I have Windows Media Player?

Thanks for your advice. Using Windows XP home.

Karen M.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:30 PM

Hello,

Some of them are standard programs (extras) that come bundled with many OS's. You can however copy/paste the program name in the search engine, and I'm sure you'll come up with many results to help you decide what you want to do with the program. You can then decide if you want them to load or not during boot up. You can also choose to uninstall them. The choice will be yours. But, from what I saw, they were bundled with your computer OS.

As far as the RealPlayer and such, although I do recommend to not use them (privacy reasons).. having them installed won't bother anything. The one reason I found that you may want to consider leaving it on your computer, is that when you visit some web sites, they may only have that file in a specific format, and at the same time, not allowing you to download it to view offline. In cases like that, there's not much you can do about it. But if you never plan to use the program(s)...... simply don't use it. You don't have to uninstall it, and it won't hurt your computer at all. And if you're worried about it "phoning home", you can block the program from transmitting from your computer back to the Internet.

Edited by Walkman, 10 November 2006 - 03:34 PM.

#3 KMCCAIN

KMCCAIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:01 PM

Thanks very much for your advice!

Karen

#4 SpiritWind

SpiritWind

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:00 PM

:thumbsup: Hi Karen :

Would be worthwhile to check the info at :

http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier/

This program was originally called "Dell De-Crapifier" .

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:54 PM

ABBYFineReader is ocr software.

Have you installed a scanner? It is probably software that came with it.

The Broadcom Advance Control Suite is most likely associated with your ethernet adapter.

Unless you know what you are uninstalling, do not do it.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:50 AM

You can find a wealth of information about start up applications, what they do and whether they are needed or not, by click on the Startup List tab at the top of BC's pages.

Unfortunately, some sites require the use of RealOne player, so having it can be handy. It definitely should not be in your start up applications, though. For the most part, the only non-Windows applications you need in your startups is your firewall, your AV, and your internet provider's software.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:07 AM

For most of this stuff, it's very simple. If you disable it - does your computer still do what you want it to do? If not, then you need it!

The trick is, first, to research the item on the web to see if you can figure out what it does to your system.

Then, the next part is to disable the programs one at a time to see if it affects your use of the system.

By far the largest amount of problems come from disabling these things "en masse" - then you'll have no clue as to which is causing your problems.

Caution is the watchword here! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users