Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Guide to Self Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bailey Boy

Bailey Boy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:45 AM

My computer, not this one, running Windows 98 without any anti-virus program for some months is well and truely infected. now after after a scan using the latest edition of AVG I cannot access the Internet. Would someone please point me in the right direction where I can get my self out of this mess.
Thanks in anticipation.
Bailey Boy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:53 PM

Bailey Boy, if I were in your shoes (and I have been), having two computers one of which is a mess...

I'd use the good one to get the latest HijackThis zip file. Unzip (extract it) using your good PC, then burn a CD of the folder described below, Run the HJT on the win98 machine & post the results as a "new topic" labelled as HJT - Bailey Boy's 98, in the right forum for HJT log analysis. Some basic instructions follow:

First create a new folder. A folder like c:\HJT. You can do in about seven clicks (-->). Use your desktop -->StartButton-->My Computer-->Hard Disk Drive C:\-->File-->New-->Folder and name it HJT.

Next download HijackThis from: HijackThis Download Site. You should "save to disk".
Open the .zip folder an choose extract. Use the 'browse" and extract to the C:\HJT folder you made.
Doing it this way will let you use the backup/restore features that we may need later on.
Now, with the unzipped folder open, (double)click the icon hijackthis.exe to Run the program.
Next click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the same button, which is now called Save Log.
A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Use the notepad toolbar --> Edit --> Select all --> Edit --> (right)click & choose Copy.
The log will be saved until you right-click again.

Create a reply to this post by clicking "new topic button" at this link location. Right click in message area and select "paste" to paste the log into the post. When you see the log, then type in your comments to us about your particular problem. Please be patient with us, we are volunteers. We need time to study your individual log before we recommend doing a "fix procedure". Thanks for your cooperation. :flowers:

Someone will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.
To see a tutorial with screenshots on using HijackThis you can click on the link below:
How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers, Malware, & Spyware
:thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 22 December 2004 - 01:55 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users