Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Slowdown In Computer Lab

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 elinatim

elinatim

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:50 PM

Our school's computer network serves 63 computers, 29 of which are in a single computer laboratory. All of our computers are networked using IDFs (whatever that means) connected to a fiber-optic backbone; except those in the lab, which are connected to an MDF (whatever that is) in the server room. We have very good service all over campus except in the computer lab, where I-net connection speed on one and the same computer can vary from 4 Mbps to nil.

Yesterday, I tested a computer whose connection speed varied that much in a space of five minutes. No one else in the lab was working on the Internet. There were about 5 students working on their machines locally. (They were logged onto the network, but were not using network resources.)

My IT administrator thinks that the person who set up our system used Active Directory or maybe even a filter to keep the lab from taking too many resources. I think that the problem has to do with the physical setup, but I cannot offer any hypothesis beyond that. Who is right? More important, what can we do to troubleshoot this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:18 AM

Wow, this one is a doozy! Have you tried tracing the route that the packets take and seeing if you can find the restriction?

I suspect that you're right about the group policy restrictions - but don't have enough GP experience to point you at it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:04 PM

John,

Thank you for your post. Most of my experience comes from on-the-job learning...usually through things like this. When you say to trace the route, do you mean using "tracert"? If so, what route do I want to trace? If not, then what?

#4 Oxycotin

Oxycotin

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:47 PM

Sonds similar to my problem, However im on a MUCH smaller network. It turns out,(for me that is) that my isp is having problemslatly meeting demand, and connection speeds vary every few mins, from 6000/kbs sec to 256kbs/sec.
I can tell you what I did to impove the situation though, even if it doesn't apply to you it might guve you a hint.
Well my router is about 3 years old, so I updated the firmware, and wow what a difference, my connection speed was droping down to 256, and now the lowest it goes is 1500/kbs, still slow i know but at least you don't notice so bad when my bandwith gets chocked. I was also giving many new features such as QOS, disabling the firewall, and changing some packet handling deatails.
btw my speeds still vary MASSIVELY every few mins, its not fun, not fun at all.

p.s mabye i should re-enable
te firewall, might be getting hacked..................good luck and why am i getting pinged?

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:40 PM

Actually I was using trace the route in a more 'generic' sense (I'm also self-trained so I don't always know the correct buzzwords for this).

You can ping the different addresses along the route through the network - or you can tracert to an address that you know has problems. Either will reveal some data about where the problem may lie.

There's a free program called Ethereal (but I haven't used it) that's supposed to be really handy for problems like this. You can get it here: http://www.ethereal.com/

Also, I do recall a trick from way back that could be used to limit bandwidth consumption. As I remember it had something to do with the QoS RSVP service. Maybe a google for "QoS RSVP bandwidth" might help?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:46 PM

UPDATE: I had some time over the Thanksgiving holiday to go in and tweak the registries on all the computers in the lab. I also downloaded and installed the latest updates from Microsoft. I have not heard back from the computer teacher yet, but I did notice much-improved download/upload speeds on all but two or three of the computers. ("Much-improved" means that the download speed went from about 1200 to about 3800 on a typical computer.) I tweaked the computers with very little effort using a program called TCP/IP Optimizer--Two clicks of the mouse and a reboot on each computer.

Edited by elinatim, 27 November 2006 - 12:47 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:57 AM

Do these systems have similar hardware? If so, you may be able to "clone" the one's that are working well to the one's that aren't.

Lot's of difficulties in using that method, as Windows may get confused with all the similar hardware and conflicting SID's - but it may be worth a try if all else fails.

#8 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the idea. The computer teacher has told me that she has not noticed any improvement in performance. I think the weakest link here is the computers themselves. We may just have to keep limping along until we can afford replacements.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:21 PM

Try checking the settings using the CableNut software (google will take you there), then adjusting them according to the CableNut Update (save the old settings). See if that will help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users