Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 muuguyaaro

muuguyaaro

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:41 AM

Hi everyone. I live and work in the uk. I have a problem and I wonder if anyone could be of help.

The Problem:

I frequent a forum where I was a registered or paid-up member. As a member, you had the right to edit only your posts. You also had a personal archive to store your posts and all other posts to the forum. Members could only edit their posts on their own editing page to which only the member had access. So, for example, if I edited something on my editing page, it only becomes public when I click "save changes".

Last week a couple of my posts were edited without my knowledge by someone in the forum. The intriguing thing is that my original post seemed intact on my editing page. The changes that someone had done seemed to have by-passed my editing page.

I enquired from the administrator if the person I suspected worked for him? He replied the the suspect had nothing to do with the website.

I have had my account closed for now.

My questions are:

1. How is this possible?

2. Could he have accessed my password from my PC or from the administrator? Even so, I would have thought he would have had to make the changes on the editing page.

3. Could it be that the server the website uses or indeed my Pc has been hacked into?

4. Does this mean that the suspect has access to all data on my PC?

5. Where do I stand, legally? Can I have the suspect arrested, for example?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:17 AM

There should be a "paper trail" that the forum administrators can use to determine by whom and at what time these posts were edited. You would need this information before you could determine the cause of the changes and the extent (if any) to which your computer was compromised.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users