Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Smitfraudc.toolbar888 - Side Effects Of Cleaning Process?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Baldrick45

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:20 AM

Hi Everyone

First post so please bear with me.

I got zapped by SmitfraudC.Toolbar888 a couple of days ago. Having Googled to this site I armed myself with smitfraudfix and vundofix and a few other bits and pieces as recommended in various threads.

Having worked through the guides I was still struggling to delete a few of the files (awqtr.dll and a couple of others) but booted from an Ubuntu Live Linux CD and was able to terminate the little feckers from there.

A couple more boots in safe mode, re-runs of hijackthis, smitfraud etc (to be sure, to be sure) and at 11:53 last night I had a clean system - I confirmed this by running the AVG Spyware trial which reported no problems. The little red circle has finally been squished from my SysTray and I'm a happy bunny once again!.

But... While the PC now seems to be operating OK, in the few minutes before I switched it off and fell into my bed, I did notice that a lot of my bookmarked websites (even common ones like Dilbert.com, ebay.co.uk) were consistently failing to connect were giving me a timeout error. Other sites were working fine and I confirmed I was getting my normal 2Meg connection by the ADSL speedtest at www.ADSLguide.org.uk

Is this something that could have been caused by the cleaning process? Do I just need to find my timeout setting and reset it back to a larger default?

I may have been a little zealous in my last round of Hijackthis fixes (zapped a couple of extra button lines I couldn't identify after Googling them and also one line for a wvpqpke.dll which I couldn't find referenced anywhere on the web) but I systematically worked through and web searched every line in the HJT report and did not zap any other lines for DLLs or programmes which were not definitely confirmed as being spyware related.

Happy to furnish a HJT logfile if that is helpful to anyone but I'm fairly sure that the spyware is zapped - its just that something else somewhere in the system may have got tweaked or changed too.

Any thoughts/advice?

Edited by Baldrick45, 10 November 2006 - 05:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:28 PM

Is this problem still existing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users