Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk Deleted Files Pc Wont Startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 madmak16

madmak16

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:21 AM

Yesterday evening a message popped up in my system tray informing me that a file was corrupt and it would be a good idea to run scan disk/chkdsk.

I closed windows thinking nothing more of it, but wanted to make sure the pc would startup again ok, so I turned it back on and it went straight to the CHKDSK screen telling me it would be a good idea to do a scan. I pressed a key to bypass it, the computer then restarted and went back to this screen, so I let it check the c: drive that windows is loaded onto.

It came up saying there were several corrupted areas, and started deleting and adding files. There were 3 stages, not the normal 5 when you schedule a CHKDSK.

The last stage was something like checking security descriptors, then updating UNC database or something like that I cant remember.

Now the computer wont start, I have tried booting to Safe Mode, and reverting to last known good settings etc but nothing.

I have partitioned my hard drive, so would it be possible to load XP onto the d: then try and sort the C drive from there?

Is this a virus?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:54 PM

Do you have the recovery console installed - or can you install it from your XP installation CD? (by booting from it and selecting the first "R" to repair from the recovery console?

If so, try the following commands in Recovery Console:
fixmbr
fixboot
bootcfg

Since this is a hard drive error, the very first thing that you should do once you get back into the system is BACKUP your data! This may be a sign of impending hard disk failure and you don't want to get caught with your data unprotected!

Edited by usasma, 10 November 2006 - 04:55 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users