Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deep Freeze: Usb Drive Recognition

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AppleCache

AppleCache

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:50 AM

Hi

This is my first post so here goes:

I recently tried to install deep freeze on my computer. Being a 2001 model I would not say it is state of the art but it still runs :inlove: Anyway, it only has 20 gigs so please don't diss me on that seeing that loads of people have tons of gigs which makes me jealous. :thumbsup: Oh and my cpu is an AMD Athlon 1 gig.

After restarting the computer and finding out how deep freeze works I proceeded to freeze my hard drive as well as creating thawed partitions and setting the password and blah blah.

After restarting again deep freeze was working fine and I had my thawed partion but when I inserted my usb in the was no recognition of it.

After unfreezing my hard drive only then did my usb drive become recognized.

What is happening? I would ask the vendor but there is a problem.
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'Why I don't ask the vendor is because the program is so so. ie not credible stuff :flowers:
Why not credible!! Well because there is lots of programs that I would LOVE to support and buy licences etc but I live in a country where I am not able to pay and buy licences for it or even know where to start. In addition, most companies that u see on the internet FOR ME is in the US. And I dont have dollar currency.

Thanks for the great tips Hope u understand :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 02:53 AM

I believe there is a Microsoft download that will do exactly what Deepfreeze does:

"Deep Freeze instantly protects and preserves original computer configurations, eliminating routine IT maintenance while allowing complete unrestricted access to a workstation. Regardless of the changes made to a workstation, simply restart to reset the computer to its original state. The result is a protected, parallel network, free of viruses and unwanted programs. Deep Freeze is available for both Mac and Windows platforms."

Microsoft's program is basically used for public computers such as those in libraries.
If the user has a legit XP op system he may be able to download this.

From Microsoft:
Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP product overview
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/shareda...s/overview.mspx

The Shared Computer Toolkit is ideal for computers in schools, public libraries, community technology centers, and Internet cafés. It allows those who manage shared computers in these environments to easily:

Defend shared computers from unauthorized changes to their hard disks.

Restrict users from accessing system settings and data.

Enhance the user experience on shared computers.
Defend shared computers from unauthorized changes to the hard disk
Defend Unauthorized changes to a hard disk can make shared computers less reliable. Windows Disk Protection helps to prevent users, viruses, spyware, or other programs from making permanent changes to the hard disk by clearing changes each time the computer restarts.

Because certain changes, such as critical updates and antivirus signatures, need to be permanently saved, Windows Disk Protection allows you to schedule such changes to occur automatically at whatever time you choose.
The Windows Disk Protection tool:

Helps protect operating system files

Clears changes when the computer restarts

Automates critical and antivirus updates

Lets you choose to save changes to disk
Restrict untrusted users from system settings
Restrict

Shared computer users can't always be trusted—they are often anonymous, and sometimes mischievous. The User Restrictions tool makes it easy to create restricted local user profiles so users have limited access to Windows system utilities, files, and data. You can prevent user access to Control Panel, the command prompt, any drive on the computer, the Registry Editor, and many other system utilities. You can also prevent users from running unauthorized software on a shared computer.

The User Restrictions tool is best suited for workgroup environments in which users share accounts and passwords, and where Active Directory is not present.
The User Restrictions tool lets you:

Restrict access to Windows system utilities

Prohibit access to important data

Prevent users from running unauthorized software

Simplify the Start menu
Top of pageTop of page
Enhance the user experience
Enhance

Users generally prefer a consistent, familiar, and private shared computer experience. The toolkit helps shared computer operators create an interface that will not confuse or distract users with unnecessary programs or options.

The toolkit also helps to protect user privacy by refreshing the desktop, user settings, and user data each time a new user logs on. Plus, it consolidates several accessibility features into one user interface, so users can more easily access the features they regularly use. For users who are new to computers, the toolkit also provides a variety of suitable online learning resources.
Toolkit advantages

Affordable: No charge for licensed customers of Windows XP

From Faronics - manufacturer of Deepfreeze:
http://www.faronics.com/html/product.asp
Deep Freeze instantly protects and preserves original computer configurations, eliminating routine IT maintenance while allowing complete unrestricted access to a workstation. Regardless of the changes made to a workstation, simply restart to reset the computer to its original state. The result is a protected, parallel network, free of viruses and unwanted programs. Deep Freeze is available for both Mac and Windows platforms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users