Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Protection

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 steve g

steve g

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:34 AM

Is there a way to password protect regular files on my computer?

thanks in advanced

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:39 AM

It depends what you class as regular files?

You can use winzip to password protect a zip file. So if you wanted to encapsulate a file with a password you could do it that way.
Posted Image

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:09 AM

You can password protect MS Office file types, as well as those for OpenOffice, and files under the NTFS system. You can also zip files and password protect them in that way.
See the article at PCWorld:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,110663-page,1/article.html

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:13 PM

There's lot's of encryption utilities out there and quite a few of the good one's are free. I don't use them, so I can't recommend any specific one's.

Be careful that you don't encrypt any system files - this'll stop your system from running.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 steve g

steve g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the responses:

What I want to protect is a whole folder filled with items (business material) ranging from word to paint files. I live on a college campus and dont want friends accessing them. So I need something simple and free to just ask for a PW before the folder is opened.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:13 AM

Here's a link that may help you out: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000705.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 steve g

steve g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:34 PM

thanks for the link, however I was previously at that page and it didnt teach me much. My drive is properly formatted to the proper settings however the box to "not share" is grayed out still.

JOHN - you have mentioned there are utilities out there however you havent used them, can you list a few and I will use them and write a review on each product so others can know? t

thanks in advanced

#8 steve g

steve g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:34 AM

if anyone for that matter has ANY ideas of any programs that can do such simple things for free PLEASE let me know

#9 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:54 AM

Look here under PC Security. It's an encryption program, but should achieve the desired results.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 15 November 2006 - 12:59 AM.

#10 steve g

steve g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:25 AM

thanks, ill check it out: seems like you meant the "Cryptainer LE" I don't know enough about computers to get that to function perhaps, but it seems like the program didn't do what I want.

Edited by steve g, 15 November 2006 - 11:06 AM.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:22 PM

To enable the use of the "Do Not Share" option, you need to disable simple file sharing. Go to My Computer and select "Folder Options" from the "Tools" menu. Select the "View" tab from the resulting dialogue box and uncheck the "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)" checkbox which is at the botton of the Advanced Settings field. Press OK.

(visit MS KB Article 304040 to see a brief video demonstrating this)

#12 steve g

steve g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:48 PM

thanks for the advice however I have XP home and do not see that option IN the folder or in "folder options" in control panel.

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:42 PM

Try the method described Here to disable it in home edition. I haven't tried it myself as I don't have Home Edition, but it seems like it might be the way.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:26 AM

In XPHome you may have to boot into Safe Mode to change these settings. To get into Safe Mode try repeatedly pressing F8 as Windows first begins to load (not the boot screen, but the Windows screen).

#15 photobug

photobug

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:08 PM

:thumbsup: I have found the following site has what I would consider the best encryption program and it is basicall free for the small file. You can set up a vault to contain a password file.
http://www.cypherix.co.uk/download/cryle.e...rce=recommendit for the download or just go to the web site and review the choices for yourself.
This is a free download. You can purchase up to a 25000 meg vault. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users