Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Boot Problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 azmike37

azmike37

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:31 PM

My computer boots up and the monitor won't come on. I thought it may be the video card but it all one piece with the motherboard. I tryed a monitor that I knew worked and that didn't work either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:28 AM

Does your pc post? What was the last thing you did before your monitor quit functioning? Need more info.

#3 azmike37

azmike37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:15 PM

Its my mother in-laws computer and she said she printed some papers and shut it off when she returned later and turned it on, Nothing! I thought it may be the video card but the video and motherboarc are all one piece. I put another monitor to it but it didn't work either. Even installed a different HD, and nothing. The HD is working cause its spinning anyway.?????

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:59 PM

Post some info of the computer, like:

The name/model
motherboard info, if possible
and anything else that you may think will help us to determine the problem.

You wrote

I thought it may be the video card but it all one piece with the motherboard. I tryed a monitor that I knew worked and that didn't work either.

Then your problem is most likely with the video card. If a known good monitor doesn't work on it, then you have a problem with either the built-in card itself, or the motherboard or some drivers.

I'm thinking it's the video card that's the problem.

Can you install another video card? If so, do it, and attach a monitor to it, and if it works, it's definitely what I said the problems are, which will most likely be the video card.

#5 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:03 PM

Well if he says the video card is attached to the motherboard then that would just make it a motherboard issue. azmike37,when you boot the computer does it make an inital beep? How certain are you that the computer is fully loading into windows? Have you attempted to shut down just by using your keyboard after you have felt it has loaded into windows? Also as Walkman suggested the make and model would help also, or even just the pc model itself.

#6 azmike37

azmike37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:44 PM

Ok guys here we go got some info on bottom of Tower. Was built by Compuserve here in Candler AZ.

CPU: Intel Celetron 2.4Ghz 128 cach, 400 FSB, 478 pin
Video card: Intergrated Video
MOtherboard: Asrock M266A MATX, 633 FSB, VIA sound card

Turned on and NO beeps at all sitting here with it open and just the fans are moving. One fan fot CPU moving and one for external air moving.????????
If its junk no big deal, I just thing to see if I can fix it..............I'll part it out if I can.

Thanks guys
Mike

#7 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:37 PM

First i would attempt to reset the bios, mabye it set for agp rather than onboard video, happened to me before, so its possible. http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS. If that doesn't work it's time to strip the comp down to the bare minimals. Example, no cdrom plugged in, 1 stick of memory, 1 harddrive, always check your jumper settings. IF the computer doesn't post then its more then likely your motherboard is at the end of its days. Just make sure you double check everything you do, alot of my computer mishaps are due to my own errors.

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:47 PM

Well if he says the video card is attached to the motherboard then that would just make it a motherboard issue. azmike37,when you boot the computer does it make an inital beep? How certain are you that the computer is fully loading into windows? Have you attempted to shut down just by using your keyboard after you have felt it has loaded into windows? Also as Walkman suggested the make and model would help also, or even just the pc model itself.

Not quite. One of my computers have a built-in modem, and it went bad about 3 years ago, and the computer is still running fine to this day.

Because something is built on a motherboard and you have problems with it, it could just be that component, and not the motherboard.

But if there is an extra slot on that motherboard, I'd try to 1st install another video card. If that's impossible to do, (because you can't get hold of one). I'd simply wait to see if I can at least get one just to test it.

Can you take the video card out of the computer you're using right now to be online?... just to test it out?

Other than that... it may be time to scrap it.

#9 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:02 PM

He says it doesn't post. So how would adding a video card solve this issue, when the pc wouldn't boot far enough to recognize it. Please enlighten me. :thumbsup:

#10 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:30 PM

He says it doesn't post. So how would adding a video card solve this issue, when the pc wouldn't boot far enough to recognize it. Please enlighten me. :thumbsup:

P.O.S.T (Power On Self Test)

The computer isn't posting because it has an issue with the video, so it won't go any further, until the problem is rectified.

If there is an available slot to add a video card, it may very well P.OS.T. To explain it to you easier, if you have a problem with your computer, and during the POST and it fails right there, 9 out of 10 times, the logical thing to do is to replace the faulty component. The beeps will tell you which component is faulty.

Since it's a video problem, by replacing the video card, it may allow the POST to execute correctly, (because it found a working video card).

I never implied this is a cast in stone method, but I've repaired a lot of hardware on computers, and the POST is simply telling him there is something faulty...... and in many cases, just replacing the component solves the issue.

Again... if you have an extra video card, and you have an extra slot in the computer, put the card in there. It's worth the try. Exhaust all avenues before you try to convince him the motherboard is trash. (it may be,, but all avenues haven't been used yet). If the same problem exists, then the motherboard is definitely bad. But by not trying it, you're being too premature to rule it out as the bad piece.

Computers are designed to accept working components, although the built-in components may go bad, and still keep it operational.

It may work,,,, and it may not work. But I try every thing before I give up.

#11 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:19 AM

Just to clear this up since these last few post have been anything but useful, I'm not suggesting he call his motherboard trash. Post #7 pretty much states what I belive he should do. All in all azmike37, if the suggested methods of solving this issue fail, I would just simply call Asrock, and chat them up to get thier opinion. They offer decent boards so I'm sure their support can't be far off. Good luck.

#12 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:21 PM

Just to clear this up since these last few post have been anything but useful, I'm not suggesting he call his motherboard trash. Post #7 pretty much states what I belive he should do. All in all azmike37, if the suggested methods of solving this issue fail, I would just simply call Asrock, and chat them up to get thier opinion. They offer decent boards so I'm sure their support can't be far off. Good luck.

You still missed the most important thing...... If it doesn't P.O.S.T, he'll never get into the BIOS to change anything.

Am I missing something?

#13 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:34 PM

You can reset from the motherboard. http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS. Would set all of your settings default.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users