Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Csrss.exe Files- 1 In C:\windows\i386

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beremat

Beremat

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:24 PM

How can I remove this file? I tried deleting it but it seems to keep taking up my CPU. I learned from google that if I have this file somewhere else than C:\WINDOWS\System32, it is usually a Trojan. I found one in the legit location, and one in C:\WINDOWS\I386 named CSRSS.EX_ unlike the legit csrss.exe. What are the proper removal instructions of this virus?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:48 PM

Helloo Beremat, One is good and one is bad. It's a pretty old bug so let's see if running these 2 scans will fix it right away.

Download and scan with AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 Free in "SAFE MODE". How to start Windows in Safe Mode
Print out the AVG Install and Scan Instructions. HERE
Be sure to check for the any updates to all these programs after you install them.

Download and run SUPERAntiSypware, free version Home User
Let us know

BTW Welcome to bleepingcomputer.com

Edited by boopme, 09 November 2006 - 10:49 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Beremat

Beremat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:15 PM

AVG moved some files into the Virus Vault from the Generic2 Trojan, but the lag still exists. I will try the SuperAntiSpyware program now.

*edit*

:D

The SUPERAntiSpyware program found some keyloggers which I think that were the reason 100% of my CPU was being taken up. Everything is back to normal. You guys are really good at helping- my quickest response to a problem like this ever.

Those 2 programs are also nice additions to my security box :thumbsup:

Edited by Beremat, 10 November 2006 - 06:58 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:54 AM

Glad to hear it and THANKS
They are good apps - update weekly at least.

Now do this
Empty your Recycle Bin.
Next
Update your windows Windows Update

Next
Create a new Restore Point:
Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
Then when Restore opens, select Create a new restore point and click Next
Give the the restore point a name like New and clean >Click Create

Then delete old Restore points:
Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup > Click Ok.
Click the more options tab > notice System Restore > click clean up >Reboot

Now install SpywareBlaster 3.5.1 .

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer.

SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spyware-free and secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users