Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Me Is Totally Messed Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KoolAidQueen

KoolAidQueen

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:05 PM

my system was bad with virus spyware and malware.

I was running adaware se but it wasnt working

I have a windows me disk but not a system recovery disk

i cannot boot up in normal mode (something about an invalid ms dos file but the screen flashes too fast to read what it says).

i can boot up in safe mode but half the programs dont work it says another program is currently using them

i can boot up step by step if i dont boot up the registry amd sometimes the internet works sometimes it doesnt.

There is nothing on the hard drive that i want to save.

I would be happy to wipe the hard drive but as i said i have no recovery disk.

Windows wont uninstall because scandisk wont complete.

The store where i got the computer from said that because the last scan disk showed unrepairable sectors during the scan but not in the scan report that it might be a hardware problem...if that is the case then they will fix the computer under warranty at no charge...but if it is not a hardware problem then they will charge me a lot to fix it...i dont have any money

someone told me if i got a boot disk from bootdisk.com then i could format the hard drive and use my windows me cd to reinstall windows and start over...is that true? is it difficult to do because i am by no means an expert ?

Any help is much appreciated,

thank you

KoolAidQueen
KoolAidQueen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dan Leech

Dan Leech

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:35 AM

if your computer comes up with bad sectors, they MIGHT be repairable with active killdisk,from www.killdisk.com, which will wipe the drive totally, then you can format and install windows me. If it doesnt work, then you need to purchase a another hard drive.

Edited by Dan Leech, 10 November 2006 - 09:36 AM.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:30 AM

The store where i got the computer from said that because the last scan disk showed unrepairable sectors during the scan but not in the scan report that it might be a hardware problem...if that is the case then they will fix the computer under warranty at no charge...but if it is not a hardware problem then they will charge me a lot to fix it...i dont have any money

someone told me if i got a boot disk from bootdisk.com then i could format the hard drive and use my windows me cd to reinstall windows and start over...is that true? is it difficult to do because i am by no means an expert ?

Any help is much appreciated,

thank you

KoolAidQueen

I would take it to them and see if it is hardware. If it is not then tell them not to repair it. Could you please post the specs about your computer? RAM, Processor, hard drive, video card,...?

Second. Do you have the 25 digit code that came with your ME disk? If not it will be worthless to you. If you wipe\format your disk and do not have the 25 digit code you will have a 30 lb paper weight, because to will not be able to properly install ME no matter what you do.
If you do have a legit copy of ME and you are going to install it your self make sure you have all your drivers on hand for the your different hardware devices.

Edited by acklan, 12 November 2006 - 12:37 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users