Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluetooth Devices In Ctrl Panel

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:25 PM

but i know i have bluetooth, because ive seen the chip in my pc...

what do i do to enable it?

cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:29 PM

Look in your device manager and see if it is listed there.

#3 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:36 PM

|Wheres that??

no such thing called device manager in ctrl panel

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:57 PM

Using Device Manager
You might need to be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to perform some tasks.

Device Manager provides you with information about how the hardware on your computer is installed and configured, and how the hardware interacts with your computer's programs. With Device Manager, you can update the device drivers for hardware installed on your computer, modify hardware settings, and troubleshoot problems.

Open Device Manager:

To open Device Manager, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click System.
On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
For information about using Device Manager, on the Action menu in Device Manager, click Help

#5 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:04 PM

Thanks, where would it be listed?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:54 PM

Go through all the catagories and look for it.

#7 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:59 PM

I dont see anything that says bluetooth... :thumbsup:

#8 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:37 AM

Any Ideas?

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:57 AM

If there's a chip for bluetooth in your PC, the first step is to ensure that it's enabled in the BIOS.

If it's enabled, Windows should detect it (even if it's only an Unknown Device). From there you should be able to install drivers using the Add New Hardware Wizard.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:10 AM

How do I see if its enabled in the BIOS?

Ive looked in the add new harware wizard, but I didnt see anything which said bluetooth, so should I just install all the unknown devices?

DM

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:08 PM

In the BIOS you'd have to look around to see if there's any mention of Bluetooth devices in there (I'm not familiar with Bluetooth myself). Any devices would have to be enabled there before Windows would recognize them.

Once that's done, go into Device Manager and look for Bluetooth devices - and for any Unknown devices. If there are Unknown devices (and no Bluetooth devices) then they are likely to be your Bluetooth devices). Then you can use the Add New Hardware Wizard and a disk with the Bluetooth device drivers on it to install the Bluetooth devices.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:15 PM

Could that disk be the disk that you use to install all the general drivers for the laptop, or would that automatically install the bluetooth drivers

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:18 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883258
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841803
http://www.filesaveas.com/bluetooth.html

Well, I'm learning about Bluetooth (as much as I don't want to!) as we go through with this! The links above point to information about Bluetooth and it's drivers.

It seems that Windows does have some support built in for Bluetooth drivers - but there's also devices out there that need their own drivers. So, if Windows won't install the drivers automatically for you - then you'll need to get drivers from the device manufacturer's website (or from a CD that may have come with the device).

#14 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:18 PM

Hm, nothing worked, I guess im going to have to find the chip manufacturer...

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:29 PM

It may not be named "Bluetooth" but something like "Wireless network adapter".

Do you have a Bluetooth device you are trying to use?

If so, try using the wireless network wizard in the control panel to see if you can network with it. If successful, that may install and turn the Bluetooth adapter on.

See if anything on the following site helps:
http://bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Connect/Dev...nstructions.htm

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 November 2006 - 03:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users