Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Premier Pro V1.5 Won't Recognize Mini Dv Player

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:08 PM

At work, our IMO (Information Management Officer, not In My Opinion!) is stumped and asked me for help. Adobe Premier Pro v1.5 won't recognize the Mini DV player (Panasonic AG-DV2500) that's attached to the comptuer via fire wire. Windows xp pro knows it's there, and when you turn it on or off, it makes the "new hardware" beep, and then you can easily see it under device manager when it's on. However, I can't get Adobe Premier to recognize it. I can't controll it from Premier either. It says "Device is off line" when I attempt to import from it. I've checked all the settings on the player itself, and their fine. I've even told Premier exactly what device it is (via the options panel), but it still won't see it. I've disconnected the other devices from the mini DV player (Svhs player, dvd rw w/recordable hdd, vhs decks etc.) so that it was only the mini DV player connected to the computer, and Premier still won't recognize it. No matter what I did, Premier pro won't see the mini DV player, even when I'm logged on under the admistrators account (the admin account with full permssions to everything), it's all useless!!!!!

I know that the mini DV player works, because I can put a tape in it and watch it on a tv. I can see it in windows device manager. It's just that Premier won't recognize it's there.

The machine isn't connected to the net (and can't be via regulation), so I can't try to update the drivers for it. I did some research online, and it's plug n play and read in a few different places that it doesn't require drivers, that Adobe Premier should run it no problem once it's plugged into the computer.

I'm stumped, I've tried about everything that I know, aside from uninstalling Premier Pro and then reinstalling it.

Under Device manager, I do see a yellow "!", but it's under Ports>Multiport Communications Port (COM3), and not under "Imaging Devices" (which is where the mini DV player is). I have no clue what this error is either (but I don't believe that it's related directly to the reason why Premier won't recognize the mini DV player).

Does anyone have any advice that they can offer? (PLEASE!!!!!)

Thanks in advance for all your help! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:52 PM

Have you checked your network connections?

sometimes the IEEE1394 is bridged with the onboard NIC, and if the NIC is disabled, the firewire port does not work correctly
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:40 AM

The computer has a firewire card in it, and I don't believe that it has onboard firewire. I'll give it a check though, and that's great info about the onboard NIC being disabled might screw up the onboard firewire (I'll keep that in mind!).

Thanks oldf@rt!

Any other ideas????? :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:14 PM

Ok, so I've tinkered with the comptuer some, and found that after it had been re-imaged by an IMO (IT person), that they never bothered to install any of the drivers for it. I've installed the drivers for the graphics card, sound card, installed k-lite codec pack, updated premier pro from v1.5 to 1.51 (it's the only update available), checked all the the connections inside and out, unplugged and plugged in the fire wire cable for the mini dv reader, checked to see that the onboard nic was enabled in the BIOS (it was) then did the following:

To refresh the IEEE 1394 device listings in the Windows Registry:
1. Open the Windows Registry Editor by selecting Start > Run and typing Regedit in the Open field. Click OK.
2. Navigate to the following Registry address: My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\1394.
3. Right-click the 1394 folder and select Permissions.
4. On the Security tab, Select Everyone in the Group Or User Names panel. Select Allow Full Control in the Permissions For Everyone Panel. Click OK to close the window.
5. Right-click the 1394 folder and select Delete. Click Yes to confirm key delete.
6. Connect the DV device to the computer via the IEEE 1394 (FireWire) port and power on the DV device to force Windows to reload the device information into the registry.

I'm still at square one...no further along that I was in my first post. I still have that com3 error in device manager, and I have no clue as to what it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:09 AM

Wow, this is a real stumper!!!

do you have any other computers with firewire that is known to be good? try the camera on one that is known to be good.

also check the com3 addresses to make sure that they are not conflicting with the firewire card.

Com1 3f8, irq 4
Com2 2f8 irq 3
Com3 3e8 irq 4
Com4 2e8 Irq3

If i remember correctly, these are the standard addresses for com one through four

If the firewire is not onboard, see how many com ports the system has, make sure that the onboard com ports are set to com 1 and two in the bios., as a last resort, try pulling the firewire card and placing it in a different PCI slot.

PM me if you need to.

OF
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:00 PM

Time for drastic measures methinks! :thumbsup:

Go into Device Manager and uninstall Com3 and click OK to exit the dialogs - then reboot and let Windows redetect it. Does it fix things?

If not, then go back into Device Manager and disable Com3, then reboot. Can you make it work now?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:57 AM

Grrrrr....ok, I've done everything that has been recommended, and I've also done a lot of researching. I've disabled the com3, so it's not being used at all(I picked "Do not use this item....disable). It now shows up with a black "X" next to it....but the DV player still isn't recognized in Premier. I've updated windows, replaced the firewire cable, even changed the PCI slots that the fire wire resides in and it still won't work (although windows recoginzes it no matter what).

Come to find out, that within Premier Pro, in a little tiny box it says "Capture Module not installed". Ok, so that narrows it down now, as to why Windows will recognize the DV player but Premier won't.

After loads of research, I've found out that it's missing (or at least this might fix the issue) that ksproxy.ax is what is called a "show filter" to allow an outside source to be viewed in a video program (for lack of a better explanation).

I'd like to download this ksproxy.ax file and install it in this machine, hopefully this will fix it. Does anyone know where I can download this from? I've found info about it from google, and I've searched the windows website for it, but I can't find anything to download.....Does anyone have any ideas on where I can download this from????? I think I'm making progress here, but if this doesn't work I'm going to have the computer reloacated to a firing range for target practice :thumbsup:

EDIT: I got this off of a site from Adobe.com

Note: Premiere Pro and Premiere Elements use the Microsoft file ksproxy.ax as the Video Capture Source filter to capture DV and HDV files. Do not disable the file "ksproxy.ax".

This is why I'm thinking that I need to install the ksproxy.ax file, as this might be why I'm seeing that message (as stated above) Capture module not installed.

Ohhhh....wait....brain attack...if I updated to the newest version of Windows Media Player, do you (does anyone) think that would make a difference????? I don't know if the ksproxy.ax file would be included in an upgrade (or installation).....

Edited by stevealmighty, 17 November 2006 - 03:55 PM.

Posted Image

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:47 PM

I've got that file on my system - and I've got version 10 on my system. If you'd like, PM me the filename and an email address and I'll email it (and it's location) to you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:44 AM

I've got that file on my system - and I've got version 10 on my system. If you'd like, PM me the filename and an email address and I'll email it (and it's location) to you.

Wilco. Thanks for all your help usasma! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:48 AM

I did a search for that file (ksproxy.ax) and it came up empty handed. I copied the files that usasma sent me into the specified folders that he gave me (big thanks again for your help with that usasma!) and it said that they already existed...so I just copied over them.

Nothing. Premier still won't recognize the mini dv player. My last resort is to uninstall premier then search for everything that it might leave behind and delete it, then reinstall (I've already uninstalled/reinstalled).

I'm still searching for another mini dv player, but I don't think there's an issue with it, as windows will recognize it just fine, and knows when it's plugged in or unplugged.

If this last uninstall/reinstall doesn't work, then I'm gonna have to give up, and blame cosmic rays or solar flares for this whole ordeal..... :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:32 PM

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users