Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scripts & Cookies

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Verons88

Verons88

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:09 PM

I have reset my Internet Options to a 'safe' level after getting some tips from Jason's Toolbox. http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
Although it's the safest way I can handle my web searching now, it's sometimes tiring to have to click 'yes' everytime I open a new page. (I was prompt by Internet Explorer's warning box "Scripts are usually safe, do u want to allow scripts to run?" whenever I open a page.)

When I found the page I want, after clicking 'yes' to allow scripts, I was asked "the web site *** has requested to save a file on your computer called a cookie...... Do u want to allow this?"

My questions are:
1) How can I allow scripts to be enabled automatically for the page I want? (eg. the current page like bleepingcomputer)
2) How can I tell a bad cookie from a good one?
3) How to keep a good cookie?
Thanks for advice
-verons88- :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:30 PM

How to block third party cookies in Internet Explorer:
Click start/control panel/double click Internet Options/click privacy tab/click advanced/check override automatic cookie handling/uncheck always allow session cookies/select block third-party cookies/click OK
Third-party cookies track your use of the Internet for advertising purposes. That is why they are considered adware/spyware.

Under security settings in internet options scroll down to "scripting"and under "active scripting" change from prompt to enable.
That setting will allow scripting without you being prompted to allow

Of course, the safest thing to do is to Install Firefox browser with NoScript extension.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:14 PM

Thank u for the advice, buddy215.

What is Firefox anyway? Will it conflict with my IE?
Veronica Yeoh

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:42 PM

Firefox is a browser similar to IE. It is safer and generally faster. Plus it is easily customizeable with several hundred extensions that are available. You will need IE for updating Windows and their are still a few sites around that only work in IE. You can have as many browsers as you want.
Firefox installed with the NoScript extension is about as secure as gets!! You want have to worry about activeX bugs getting in your computer when using Firefox because Firefox doesn't use them. I could go on with the benefits but the best way to find out is to install it and use it. There is presently Firefox 2.0 that just came online but I like so many others are staying with Firefox 1.5.08. I am going to give 2.0 a couple of months to iron out some known bugs and I really like the one I have.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:54 PM

Thanks again buddy215 :thumbsup:

May I know where to get Firefox? (which web site?) Is it free?
Im glad if u can provide some guide for the settings recomended for firefox.

-verons88- :flowers:

Edited by Verons88, 10 November 2006 - 10:55 PM.

Veronica Yeoh

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:17 PM

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Yes, it is free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users