Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fast User Switching

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 weaverdr81

weaverdr81

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:00 PM

Every time I try to set my computer back to fast user switching I get an error telling me that because of a recent installation fast user switching will no longer function. It also gives me msgina.dll as an assist to track down the problem. The only msgina.dll file I've found is a system file for wxp media center edition. Any clues as to how I can fix this problem would be awesome. Thank you all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:41 AM

I've recently seen some problems with the msgina file that relate to a router. Do you have a router, and if so, what kind?

As I recall there wasn't much of a solution for it short of uninstalling the router.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 weaverdr81

weaverdr81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:51 PM

No I don't have a router all I have is my Linksys modem. I've gone through everything I can think of, but still can't fix it. I'm hoping I can avoid reimaging my hard drive as I will lose a lot of important info that I can't back up, but I'm starting to think this may be my only option

#4 SpiritWind

SpiritWind

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:06 PM

:thumbsup: Hi :

Have you tried clicking "Run", typing "services.msc", clicking "ok",
then looking through the list of "services" to make sure the
"StartUp Type" of "Fast User......" AND "Terminal Services" is
NOT "disable" !?

#5 weaverdr81

weaverdr81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:59 PM

I just checked those they were disabled, I enabled both as automatic, but I still can't activate it. It's still leading me to the msgina.dll as the source of the error

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:11 AM

A bit more research showed me that the msgina.dll is also a part of the security stuff that Windows uses.

As such, this may be a problem with a Windows Update - or a corruption of the security workings within Windows. Not a good thing!!!

Unfortunately, the fixes are difficult:

Here's an article on replacing it. Excuse me for not reading it all, but it gave me a headache! http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...ity/msgina.mspx

Here's a simpler fix from an MVP: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ginadll.htm
On this page he offers a .reg file to download which will automatically do the correction.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 weaverdr81

weaverdr81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:19 PM

That was great, problem solved thanks guys you are AWSOME!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users