Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Devices

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nicesocks

nicesocks

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:32 PM

Apologies if I make no sense but I am no good with computers.

I have just bought a cheap (TECHNIKA) Webcam and tried to install it on my PC.

I followed intructions to the letter but my computer still says Device Unknown, this has also happened previously with a camera.

My mate also bought the same webcam today and his worked perfectly.

Any advice on what coudl be wrong? Are my USB ports useless or is there something else missing from my computer which would help these devices work properly?

Any help is most appreciated

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Clark76

Clark76

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:47 PM

There are a few things you can try. First try using a different usb port if available on your computer. You said your friend bought the same webcam, if possible try your friends on your computer to see if your webcam is faulty. What version of windows are you using? Is your friend's the same?

Clark76

Proud Member of ASAP

Proud Member of UNITE

#3 nicesocks

nicesocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:51 AM

thanks for the response,
I have tried a different USB port and it still does th esame, I have also used my IPOD to connect and the port works fine with it.

I then tried my friends and it worked over there, I use Windows XP again same as friends.

Any others suggestions?

#4 Clark76

Clark76

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:16 PM

The last thing I can think of is to ask if your windows is updated. Perhaps there is a generic driver that the web cam uses included in service pack 1 or 2. You should stay uptodate anyways for sercurity purposes. If that is not the case then it leadds me to believe that you might have a faulty web cam and should exchange it. Perhaps others will have some other ideas.

Clark76

Proud Member of ASAP

Proud Member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users