Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Iexplore.exe Trojan Or Not Help Needed.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:46 AM

I have Avast anti-virus, Adaware, Spybot, AVG anti spyware,Spyware blaster,Start up Inspector installed and up to date on my PC using Windows Home Edition with the SP2 update. After researching the pros and cons of the onboard Windows Firewall and the various freeware replacements I decided to download and install the free Comodo Firewall this morning.

It works fine, however it has given me the following warning message twice now when I have connected to the internet.

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe has tried to use the parent application, explorer.exe through OLE Automation which can be used to hijack other applications. iexplore.exe may be using explorer.exe to conceal its behaviour in an attempt to connect to the internet with msnmsgr.exe."

I googled iexplore.exe and it says that on the one hand it is a neccessary part of windows but on the other hand it can be a Trojan. It has something to do with which folder it is kept in.

This has confused me and not being very pc literate I am unsure whether to allow or disallow it. Could one of you experts tell me what this means and what i should do?

Thanks in advance.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:00 PM

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe is the correct address for iexplore.exe

This is, in fact, Internet Explorer.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:15 PM

Thank you Albert.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:39 PM

You are welcome!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:37 PM

Now I am getting a warning about Windows Media Player trying to connect to the Internet. Should i allow this?.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:19 PM

Lots of programs need access to the internet for lots of reasons.

I would suggest that you use a different firewall, if you are not familiar enough with these programs to know what they are doing, or why they need to access the internet. You are going to see lots and lots of these messages from that firewall in the future.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users