Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Card Trouble

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 thenoose

thenoose

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:44 AM

i reformatted my pc, installed windows xp and ubuntu and then realised i forgot to install the sound card drivers so i did and it told me they had been successfully installed (avance '97 audio drivers) but after a few reboots there still is no sound on my pc.
Is this because there is more than one OS on my pc? Ubuntu is my primary OS and sound doesnt work there either.
Help please! i cant live without my music :thumbsup:
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thenoose

thenoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:22 PM

Okay i just had an idea, is it possible that the drivers are meant for SP1?
(i always installed the drivers first and then sp2)
I only installed them after i upgraded to SP2. Is there a way of downgrading to sp1 again?
Posted Image

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

I doubt that would be your problem. What you can do is go to your Hardware Profiles, and delete your sound card entry, then refresh, then see what happens after it tells you it found it (if it says so), and then you re-install the drivers for it.

Try it and see if it'll help.

#4 thenoose

thenoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:50 PM

you mean when i right click on my computer >> hardware >> hardware profiles? It only shows "profile 1 current"
Posted Image

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:18 PM

For all the sound entries that it finds, delete them all, and refresh, and let it either find the drivers or ask you to where they're at.... and try to reinstall them again.

#6 thenoose

thenoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:31 PM

in device manager now? Because thats the only place i can find entries.
Posted Image

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:41 PM

in device manager now? Because thats the only place i can find entries.

If I haven't been clear, that's where you should be at.... Look for your sound settings in there. Even if you don't see an Exclimation Mark (!) or whatever, just delete every sound reference you find. Trust me.. You're not going to do any harm at all. After you do it, just hit refresh.

If you've tried different methods while waiting for responses here.... I highly suggest you reboot your computer. You may do something, but it may not take later on. Just reboot, and post back.

Edited by Walkman, 10 November 2006 - 07:42 PM.

#8 thenoose

thenoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:21 PM

ok ive deleted everything under sound controllers except "legacy audio drivers" and "audio codecs" which dont have a delete option and standard game port (should i delete that one too?)

I'll reboot now and ill post back tomorrow.
Posted Image

#9 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:44 PM

Yes.. do so.

And you have a great night.

#10 thenoose

thenoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:42 AM

The driver is in the add/remove programs list but its still not recognised.
Posted Image

#11 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:54 PM

Can you see your sound card in the Audio and Sound Devices? If so, make sure your setting are correct. While you're in there, click on the Sounds tab, and make sure the dropdown list displays Windows Default. Then click on one of the speakers/sound files in the section below it. Does the play(arrow) button light up? If it does, then click on it and see if you can hear any sound.

Another thing you could do is goto Add Hardware, then either let it search for your sound card, or you specify the hardware you want to install. I would go with the initial search for the hardware, then if that fails, then I'd go with the manual install of it. Also, make sure you have the correct and updated drivers for your sound card.

Check to make sure your speakers are on and connected to it properly.

Having 2 OS's could be a concern, but I'd rule that out for now.

After doing the changes if needed, post back wether all of your devices are listed in the Control Panel/Sounds & Audio Devices.. and in the Device Manager.

Oh yeah,,,, you gotta have the sounds. A computer isn't the same without it.

#12 thenoose

thenoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:26 PM

in the audio and sound devices it tells me i have none installed. and under sounds the arrow is greyed out.

how do i get to add hardware?

The drivers arent the updated ones, theyre sp1 drivers from 2003 but ive reformatted a couple of times recently and they worked every time.
Posted Image

#13 thenoose

thenoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:32 PM

okay i went to add hardware (manual) >> sound, video and game controllers >> then went to select disc and it wants a ".inf" file. I only have one for the windows 98 driver.
It seems like the driver is installed but the hardware isnt recognised. would it be wise to detach and reattach the sound card?
Posted Image

#14 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

okay i went to add hardware (manual) >> sound, video and game controllers >> then went to select disc and it wants a ".inf" file. I only have one for the windows 98 driver.
It seems like the driver is installed but the hardware isnt recognised. would it be wise to detach and reattach the sound card?

What a coincidence... I was going to post that as your next step.

Also, are you running SP2? .. if not, you should update.

#15 thenoose

thenoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:33 PM

im running sp2. Last time i installed the driver before installing sp2 and it worked. Do you mean detaching the sound card as the next step? Im not really sure how to go about it..

Edited by thenoose, 14 November 2006 - 01:34 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users