Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No power to my PC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blackice

blackice

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:04 AM

I have just built a windows XP PC, with an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ processor, 512MB ram and a 120GB SATA western digital hard drive. The case came with it's own PSU. THE PROBLEM: this morning whilst playing grand turismo on it, it suddenly shut down and wouldn't power back up, even after waiting 15 minutes. The power LED on the motherboard is lit, but none of the fans turn on, including the one for the PSU. Can any one help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ebro

ebro

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:49 AM

There could be 2 causes

1: Your power supply has in fact commited suicide

2: There is a problem on your motherboard or additional components that the power supply is detecting and shutting down to prevent more serious component damage.

First thing I'd do is

1: Make sure your main power lead is disconnected before you do anything, just incase your board has some power so you dont damage things when you start step 2.

2: Remove all data and power cables from your hard drives/(cd/dvd)roms and floppy drives.

3: Replace the main power lead, power up, and try to see if your system starts

If you get the same result then its probably the power supply.

----------

Another thing to try would be to power the motherboard from another power supply and see if the result is the same.

Now you could test your power supply on another motherboard? If you have one available of course...

You should try to return the case to your retailer, if you think the power supply is faulty, who _MAY_ replace the unit, since you built it yourself you may not have a warrenty for it :thumbsup:

If you need to buy a new power supply, sometimes its cheaper to buy the new case. Go for the cheaper of the 2 (ie new power supply vs new case)

If ya need more info PM me.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:36 AM

"1: Your power supply has in fact commited suicide"

Yeah lol to much power drain maybe? Was it a 450watt or bigger. If not you might want to check your PS...

Just a guess

#4 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:51 AM

First :thumbsup: to BC!

Second you said “including the one for the PSU” so I would suggest starting from source and working in. Take a Lamp that you have or an Alarm clock. Unplug the Computer cable, then Plug the Lamp/clock into that outlet and see if that works with them. If not you might have blown your Line/Surge Protector. (Check Surge protector is on) if the lamp/alarm works do this. Remove the cable from the back of the Computer and the back of the Monitor, plug back in so the Monitor cable is in the PC and the PC cable in Monitor. See if the Monitor turns on and see if the PC turns on. If Monitor turns on with the PC power cord and the PC doesn't turn on its your Power Supply. One other thing you can check is that the Power supply is on the right voltage for your location. (US is 1.5Volts) there is normally a red/black switch that is on the back of the Power Supply. switch this if it isn't correct setting try again if it works GRATS! If not switch back to original way and try one more time if it works GRATS! If not replace Power supply, and I’m going to agree with CGM3 and get a 450/500 that way you’re safe to upgrade other hardware at a later time.
The Board could be Powering up from the Battery for your CMOS.

Just my $.02 but what do I know

ebro :trumpet: to BC as well! (Well your first post anyway :flowers:)

Edited by LoLucky, 22 December 2004 - 11:15 AM.

#5 blackice

blackice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2004 - 08:15 PM

Today, i unplugged all the components from the motherboard and psu, so it was just the motherboard plugged into the psu, but still the psu fan did not wake up. however when i unplug the power lead and plug it back into the psu, then switch on the power button(on the case), the psu fan attempts to start then just stops..... bizzaar..... isn't it? it's like a tease.

In the mean time i would like to thank you guys for your help and i will investigate further(using the advice you have given me) and keep you posted on what the problem was and how it was fixed. please don't hestitate to help....... you are all diamond geezas. :thumbsup:

#6 ebro

ebro

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:25 AM

Quoted >> "however when i unplug the power lead and plug it back into the psu, then switch on the power button(on the case), the psu fan attempts to start then just stops..... bizzaar..... isn't it? it's like a tease. "

-----

Yeah, Ive had that little baby a few times, PSU seems to shutdown - which they do to protect your hardware if they find a fault.

Coming over and having a look would be great, put kettle on lol :thumbsup:

#7 blackice

blackice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:23 AM

In deed guys, it was the PSU, thanks a lot for all your help, I do appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users