Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pesky Cd/dvd Burner Won't 'burn'

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:29 AM

Hi,

I'm working with a 6 month old Sony Media Edition with Windows XP and 'Service Pack 2' - and have 92% free space left.

I don't know when the D Drive burner stopped working within the past 2 weeks (as I don't use it often) but although it plays CDs with music and opens data CDs, it simply and utterly refuses to 'burn' either onto a new blank CD or a partially filled CD/RW. I've read this the site for everything I could find, so hope it's okay that I list below everything that I've tried so far:

1. Tried 3 different brands of CDs
2. System Restore - back full 3 months (even tho no new software had been added, etc)
3. Don't have any 'blinking lights' going on as this computer doesn't have any
4. Found Devise Manager - no 'marks' beside lines
5. Tried Trouble Shooter and it said everything working properly (it's telling a fib!)
6. Uninstalled drivers, rebooted and computer said 'new drivers detected'
7. Used VAIO Recovery, ticked all software choices to restore

This time, when inserting a blank CD, I got a wee pop-up box saying, "Files on this CD-Rom Drive are read only. You cannot copy or move files over to this CD-Rom drive".

So, contacted Sony 'chat' and just spent a wretched 4 hours between getting instructions and following them - and all to no avail. (They are very nice there, but I suspect it's difficult for them to veer off pre-taught problem solvers, perhaps).

8. Downloaded all the updates available at Sony site, as per instructions ... 3 of the 5 downloaded and installed perfectly - two did not and both had a wee pop up box arrive saying, "Not a valid win 32 application".

Contacted Sony again and apparently when something says, "Not a valid win 21 application" it's because I've downloaded/installed the updates in the incorrect order. I've used System Restore again, redownloaded updates - and done the same thing 4 more times.

And the end result is the two updates still won't open (as per above) and my burner still doesn't work - only now a different pop-up box arrives saying, "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function".

Sony can't help now and said to take it into a repair shop - which I will do if I absolutely must, but due to personal reasons, it's very difficult to leave home right now, let alone drag my tower out with us. Gentle sigh.

I'm ever so sorry to be so lengthy with this post, but if someone can spot a step that I've missed, etc, I'd be ever so grateful for any help. And if not, has anyone used a 'remote' type of computer fixing service?

Thanks so much,
Mara
p.s. Forgot to add I've used a CD lens cleaner, as well

Edited by MaraM, 09 November 2006 - 12:53 AM.

Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:30 AM

Well, you are on the right track! Usually when something like this happens, there can be any one of several causes. Persistance is the key to fixing this issue and you are going to get there!

A couple of thoughts:

The CD drive could be defective. It would not neccessarily show up as 'bad' in the device manager. This one is a hard thing to 'prove' without just replacing the drive, so I would not do that until all other options have been exhausted.

There could be a problem with your burning software. You don't indicate with what program you are trying to burn. Please give us more info on this. You could also test this theory by simply copying a simple file and then pasting it to the CD drive in My Computer. Windows contains a burning program adequete to burn this job. But use a known good CD, blank. Depending upon the outcome of this test, we may recommend a different burning program for you.

Another real possibility is malware on your computer. If you have, or have had, malware installed on your computer then you can expect buggy behaviour such as what you are describing. We must be SURE your computer is clean! Here are instructions on how to be sure:

I would recommend following the Preparation Guide to posting a High Jack This log. You may not need to actually post a log, however. If you follow the instuctions in the Preparation Guide faithfully then your computer may be cleaned. However, rarely is a computer infected with only one thing, and it is possible that some of them will not get removed using this method.

If after completing all of the steps in the Preparation Guide you continue to have issues, post a HJT log as instructed in the Preparation Guide.

PREPARATION GUIDE

After trying those ideas, report back and let us know exactly what has happened, so please document each step, and write down each error message you see, WORD FOR WORD, and post them, too.

Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:46 PM

Hi and thank you so much for answering my query! (I apologise for not returning prior to this evening but once I realized I was unlikely to fix this dratted CD burner in time to burn the music/slide show for a Memorial Service, I spent today sending images and songs - one by one - to a lovely friend who offered to stay by her computer most of the day to download and then take everything to a pro to get redone).

I do apologise for not mentioning that the burner is:
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109 … DVD/CD-ROM drives

And the software (?) I normally use is the one contained in Windows itself (couldn't figure out how to tell what type is is, though). However, in rummaging around inside the computer today, have discovered I also have a program called Roxio (Roxio - DigitalMedia AudioCS8U6ZP9RG9G96L5V Roxio - DigitalMedia CopyCDTFZDLRTFHDNLB39 Roxio - DigitalMedia DataCUW7FVJQ32XPHZHJB). Just tried using it to burn and keep getting the box saying, "‘Please insert appendable data disk and try again” - even though there is a new blank in the slot.

With AVG(which auto updates and scans each day), this evening's test results showed:
Viruses 0 and Errors 0, but ...
Under the Results/Infection section: Kernel32.dll … change and Shell 32.dll … change

Following all other tests, the only problem was found via HouseCalls:
Dialer_RAS (can change dial up settings)
- chose ‘Clean now' option even though I don't use dial-up to access internet

I also apologise for not mentioning earlier that I have Zone Alarm, AVG, Spybot and Ad-Aware that are updated and used regularly plus all Windows up-dates are downloaded/installed automatically.

Am laughing at myself though - had assumed all Sony up-dates were also downloaded and installed automatically. But after last night's fiasco when trying to download these updates, not only did the two I mentioned earlier not open, I can no longer get my 'restore system' to go back past yesterday - eep!

Do have the option apparently of restoring computer back to what it was like in factory - but since it didn't come with real-life CDs (sigh), I used the only option I could think of the day it was installed and created CDs that, while putting it back into factory order, also means everything - literally everything - since that day will be lost forever. And yes, I'm already kicking myself for waiting until each Friday night before backing up all my work - drat, drat! Gentle smile.

Truly do appreciate your kindness in helping me with this pesky problem!

Kind thoughts,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:06 PM

Hi again,

Suspect I'm truly guilty of simply never knowing when to 'quit' - gentle smile.

I think I've finally managed to figure out what originally may have gone wrong. Although I didn't even know I had 'Roxio' on my computer before yesterday, apparently Roxio sent out an 'update' which appeared on the task bar as a 'bubble', which my beloved then clicked to okay the update, a couple weeks ago. Gentle sigh.

So rummaging around the Sony site once again, I found that one update file that apparently fixes this exact problem of CD burner no longer being recognised, etc.
SOACTD-00772707-US.EXE 2.4.12.14071 28.56 MB 03/02/2006

But although I had previously downloaded all applicable Sony updates, the above particular file refused to install and kept saying, ""INVALID WIN 32 APPLICATION". Went to Sony 'chat' and apparently one has to be careful in which order one downloads and installs updates. Used system restore, returned to Sony and downloaded and tried to install in exact order - everything installed fine except for above file, which is the one I truly need.

Returned to Sony chat - and then once again used system restore and this time, downloaded and installed (in exact order) all 'original' applicable applications from Sony site. And then re-downloaded all applicable updates - and once again installed in correct order - which again worked except for the the exact update I need - the 'Sony Click to DVD Update' (the above file) - and again and again, I get the same message, ""INVALID WIN 32 APPLICATION".

Returned to Sony chat once again (heavy sigh for both them and myself!) - and apparently one of the reasons this "INVALID WIN 32 APPLICATION" can happen is if a file has a virus in it. (Unlikely, since it's coming directly from Sony site, one would think ... plus prior to all this, I'd cleared history, cache, cookies, run defrag and all anti-virus programs on my computer itself, etc).

So then, the lady at Sony chat kindly sent me a link to a page saying to 'Use System Configuration Utility'.

Which I have tried, but I simply and utterly got stumped when I got to the part where the instructions say, "File needed will be in the C:\Windows\1386 folder". I know I must seem the biggest duffus possible right about now, but how do I know which file contained within the 1386 folder is the one I'm supposed to choose, I wonder.

I know I could return to Sony chat but I think I'd rather scrub every toilet in the house right about now rather than do that - sigh.

So, Albert Frankenstein, if you could possible instruct me on either how to get the actual update to stop thinking it's an "invalid win 32 application" and actually install - or even assist me in figuring out which file within above '1385 folder' I need, I'd be so grateful!

Thank you, thank you!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:48 PM

I'm not sure if this will help you install this - but your mention of the System Configuration Utility has sparked an idea.

Try installing this update in Safe Mode with networking support. (it'll do the same as the System Configuration Utility and then some). To get to Safe Mode, tap the F8 key repeatedly just as the "Loading Windows" logo first appears. A bit too early or a bit too late may get you something totally different, so you may have to try it a couple of times.

When you're successful, you'll get a screen with a lot of choices. The first will be Safe Mode (which you don't want) and the 2nd or 3rd will be Safe Mode with Networking Support (that's the one that you want). When you select it, there'll be a screen full of stuff that scrolls past. Then, once in, you'll see a funny looking screen and you'll get a checkbox to click on so that you understand you're really in Safe Mode. It'll say "Safe Mode" in all 4 corners of the screen.

Then go ahead and try to install the update. What I suspect is that there's a CD utility running that is preventing it from updating in normal mode - so the Safe Mode will prevent this from loading and should let you install the update.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:07 AM

Thanks so much, John - off to give it a try!

Kind thoughts,
Mara

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:19 AM

Make sure you have all Roxio updates too.

Do you have InCD on your computer? Certain versions of that have known issues with Windows XP.

#8 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:36 AM

I'm not sure if this will help you install this - but your mention of the System Configuration Utility has sparked an idea.

Try installing this update in Safe Mode with networking support. (it'll do the same as the System Configuration Utility and then some). To get to Safe Mode, tap the F8 key repeatedly just as the "Loading Windows" logo first appears. A bit too early or a bit too late may get you something totally different, so you may have to try it a couple of times.

When you're successful, you'll get a screen with a lot of choices. The first will be Safe Mode (which you don't want) and the 2nd or 3rd will be Safe Mode with Networking Support (that's the one that you want). When you select it, there'll be a screen full of stuff that scrolls past. Then, once in, you'll see a funny looking screen and you'll get a checkbox to click on so that you understand you're really in Safe Mode. It'll say "Safe Mode" in all 4 corners of the screen.

Then go ahead and try to install the update. What I suspect is that there's a CD utility running that is preventing it from updating in normal mode - so the Safe Mode will prevent this from loading and should let you install the update.

Oh dear, I have so so much to learn about computers, but your instructions were perfect - thank you so much!

Unfortunately, it still will not open - sigh - but at this point perhaps the easiest remedy will be for me to order removable drives (unsure if that's the right term?) - and then download everything vital onto them. After that, I've got the option of using VAIO 'restore' either to return computer back to original C Drive condition or
'complete system restore' (using those many disks I created the day it was installed). (The normal quick 'system restore' is no longer working since I downloaded the Sony updates that did install).

Do hate to give up but ugh - gentle smile.

I have another question, though, if you don't mind ... when I do the above, one of the first things I'd like to do is remove Roxio software completely from the computer (it must come with it from the factory). But before I do that, is there any reason I should be aware of that the 'normal' burner that I've always used with this computer and is just part of Windows XP won't be sufficient in the future?

Thanks again so much for your kind help, John...

Mara

#9 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:44 AM

Make sure you have all Roxio updates too.

Do you have InCD on your computer? Certain versions of that have known issues with Windows XP.

Hi Enthusiast,

Hmmm, I agree that if I were intending to ever use Roxio, having the updates would be great. But sadly, although I've never actually used the program on this particular computer, it was the auto-update from Roxio that caused my poor burner to quit working - gentle sigh.

There is irony in this entire situation because my other computer needed an actual new burner - hardware part - and although with lots of kind help I got the hardware hooked up correctly, it was installing and using the Roxio program that drove me more than a tad nuts ... so with this, my very first brand new computer, I would never ever have used Roxio intentionally - grin.

I do apologise for not explaining earlier that I only started to learn about computers this past Spring and still have so so so much to learn. I'm afraid I am unaware of what InCD is.

Thanks for being kind enough to respond to my post, Enthusiast...
Mara

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:01 AM

Roxio, Nero and other burner programs are far more capable than the Windows utility.

They can a do cause problems sometimes.

If the computer came with Roxio the software to reinstall it would be in the Restore cd. (or it may have been supplied separately on an additional cd)

In addition, there are several freeware burning programs available for download.

Lets try one thing first:

CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q316529

See if anything in the MS Knowledgebase article helps.

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 November 2006 - 04:02 AM.

#11 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:03 PM

Hi Enthusiast,

Thanks so much for the link - and it looks like something that actually may be easier than turning back the computer to it's original factory condition.

Before I work my way through the steps though, I think I had better get one (or two) of those 'removeable drives' as it says to back up Registry. (Eep, going into the registry is a scary thing for someone unfamiliar with that area).

I've printed the instructions out and as soon as I can back up everything, I'll follow the instructions step by step.

Thanks again!

Mara

ps. I nearly forgot to ask re: "Roxio, Nero and other burner programs are far more capable than the Windows utility" - could you please explain that a bit more for me?

Edited by MaraM, 11 November 2006 - 04:07 PM.

#12 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:21 AM

ps. I nearly forgot to ask re: "Roxio, Nero and other burner programs are far more capable than the Windows utility" - could you please explain that a bit more for me?

Windows will perform basic burning functions. But Roxio and Nero will allow you to do more. For instance, you can copy entire CD's, burn an ISO file (if you ever have to), it will remember projects that you might often repeat, It will show you how large the burn is, things like that.

Nero Express is more than adequete for most people, even me! And it is not expensive at all. I have seen it for as little as $6 on line.

EDIT: $4 USD from eBay, including shipping. See HERE.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 12 November 2006 - 11:29 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#13 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:26 AM

Hi Albert Frankenstein, thanks for explaining about the difference in 'burning' software - and I think I'll go with your suggestion and choose Nero.

Hopefully by mid-week I'll be able to rescue everything on my computer that is vital (who knew I could accumulate so much stuff in only a week!) and then set the computer back to 'original factory condition'.

Once I have it back up and running perfectly once again, I can simply delete Roxio (that comes built-in to my computer) as obviously it and the 'normal quicky burner' that is supplied with Windows XP aren't friendly with each other.

But when I install Nero, do I have to do anything special, I wonder, in order for it and Windows XP 'quicky burner' not to fight with each other? Or perhaps one negates the other automatically?

In the interim, I'll just be holding my breath that those disks I created the day computer was installed really work to install it 'back to factory condition'. (I still long for the days when one actually got the 'real life' Windows program CD along with the computer - gentle smile).

Thanks again,
Mara

#14 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:49 AM

But when I install Nero, do I have to do anything special, I wonder, in order for it and Windows XP 'quicky burner' not to fight with each other? Or perhaps one negates the other automatically?

Well, personally I have never seen a problem (conflict) between Windows and Nero Express. One tip, though, is that if your Nero disk has other programs on it (such as InCD), do NOT install those. Keep it simple. Just install Nero Express burning software, NOT the Nero Suite as it is sometimes called, which is a collection of programs. Depending upon which Nero disk you get, you will get these options as soon as you put the cd into your computer. The first screen that automatically comes up will ask you what you want installed.

One problem I have experienced is using the multisession feature with Nero. This will allow you to burn a file to a CD/RW (rewritable disk) and then at a later time burn yet another file to the disk, making a total of two files on the disk. There is a bug with Nero and this feature does not always work correctly. Sometimes the earlier burns, although still present on the disk, are invisible to your computer. I have spent many hours speaking to Nero's creators about this in Germany. They realize there is a problem, and there are some work arounds to make the earlier sessions reappear, but there is no solid solution other to just not use that feature. The cost of CD/R's have come way down anyway, so this feature actually is not needed, in my opinion. CD/R's can be purchased for about 17 cents each if you shop. Just use those and burn using a new disk each time.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#15 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:55 PM

Thanks again! Knowing about the InCD woe ahead of time is a relief, as I simply want to install something and have it work - gentle smile.

Your answer really made me realize something, too. With my original computer, it came pre-loaded with software called Adaptec and it did let me not only burn things onto a RW, it let me go back and edit those same things, directly on the RW - which was wonderful for the type of work I do. (Mostly working with photo re-touching, etc). But since this new computer is so much larger, it's not as vital that as I can leave numerous photos right on my harddrive while working. (On the old one, anything over 4 photos and the poor thing 'froze').

I haven't had this same option on this Windows XP computer (because I've only been using the 'built-in' from Microsoft and didn't even know Roxio was on it - grin!) and having this current woe happen has taught me that even backing-up my work once a week was taking a risk, but letting it go a couple weeks was just plain silly on my part. Drat!

But since I know Roxio and my computer simply don't like each other, shall invest in Nero and shop around for some cheapie CDs, too.

Thanks again for all your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users