Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outbound Email Errors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jack

jack

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:56 PM

This started a good 2 months ago, was off and on at 1st, just thought it had to do with server problems. Recently I've been not able to send any mail at all thru outlook or thunderbird.

Outlook error is - unable to connect to server - error 0x800ccc0e

Thunderbird says server may be unavailable or refusing connections.

AV disabled, no mail scanning, no router, etc...

SMPT set to mail.adelphia.net port 25

adelphia on-line mail works fine

Nothing stands out over the last 2 months as being problematic. Any ideas? Adelphia tech support said it was Outlook... then when I said it happens on thunderbird.. they said it's probably my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:04 AM

Jack,

what anti virus are you using?

most antivirus programs scan all email outbound on port 25 if the Av program has become corrupt or you are not using one, you may be infected by a virus.

seeing as both of your email programs are having problems, Adelphia might be correct in saying that your computer has the problem.

OF
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 jack

jack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:20 AM

turns out I did a winsock reset and things seem to be back to normal. Since I started having these problems I disabled my email scanning feature just to see if that could of been the problem. In addition I also did some on-line scans just to make sure anything else wasn't lurking around.

In the past I did have some infections, and have switched around to a few different av programs, so possibly some of my winsock entries were corrupted.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:19 AM

If you have used Norton anti virus, some of the networking components both inbound and outbound are replaced to monitor the email traffic.
hope this helps locate the exact cause.

good to hear that you are up.

OF
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users