Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Counterfeit Copies Of Windows

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tizzle16

Tizzle16

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:08 PM

Hello everyone! ive had my computer for about 4 years now and havnt been able to update it fro about two years...i mean non at all no driectx updates not security updates NOTHING! everytime i go to the micrisoft site and it asks me to validate it says I have a counterfeit copy and need to rebuy it...i bought this comp new so why would this happen?

I NEED MY UPDATES AND DIRECTX!

Tizzle
SteveAlmighty You Are My GOD!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:01 AM

When you bought it, didnt' you get a copy of XP? Or a restore disk? You should have, if you still have it you should be able to call Microsoft and get the problem sorted out. This is not the first time I've heard of this problem and I think all they did was make the call to verify they were legit. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:04 AM

You will need to have the COA (Certificate of Authenticity). This is normally a sticker that is stuck to the machine or the Disk.

Call microsoft and they are normally good at sorting these issues out.
Posted Image

#4 Tizzle16

Tizzle16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:12 PM

i do have that sticker on the side...where do I go from here?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:45 PM

Click on Activate Windows and then choose the phone option which will give you the toll free number to call to Activate your installation of Windows.

You will need to have the 25 digit key number listed on the sticker handy.

The Activation representative will give you a 50 digit number to enter.
(Hopefully you can be on the phone and be able to enter the number at the same time. The computer will not have to be online while you do this)

To access Activate click start/programs/accessories/system tools/Activate

#6 Tizzle16

Tizzle16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:31 PM

ok i tried what you said but when i go to the start>programs>accesories>sytem tools>there is not activate button or anything of that type...

Tizzle

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:17 AM

Go HERE this tells how to activate Windows XP. It's from Microsoft so they better know.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 Tizzle16

Tizzle16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:14 AM

you see wilda that still doesnt help me because all of those require to go to the system tools activation icon which i dont have :thumbsup:

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:08 PM

The Windows Update site will have directions on how to do this. Just read through the amazing amount of stuff there and you'll find it.

Also, you can open the Help and Support wizard and type in "activate" (without the quotes) to get help.

Or, you can go to Start...Run...and type in "oobe/msoobe /a" (without the quotes) and press Enter to launch the Activation Wizard (just copy and paste it to be sure it's got the correct syntax).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users