Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Inconsistent Internet Address Acquistion

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gwb51

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:45 PM

I have a sporatic problem achieving an wireless internet connection with my desktop. I'm using a Linksys WUSB 54G v2 Wireless G network adapter attached to my Dell Dim 8200 running XP Home. I connect to a Linksys WRT 54G v2.2 router. I am using a Verizon DSL connection.

The problem is that most of the time when I restart the computer I get a good connection to the router (according the Linksys icon in the system tray) but the the wireless network connection searches in vain for an internet address. If I open the connection dialog box and do a 'repair connection' it finds the address and everything is fine for the rest of the session.

I am confident that the router and internet connection are OK because I have no problem connecting with my Dell laptop or my girl friend's Gateway laptop. It is only the desktop that has a problem. I had the same problem when I was running XP Professional on the same machine.

I did try to switch from using the Linksys connection to using the XP connection. XP seemed to make the initial connection more consistently, but kept losing the internet connection about every 15 minutes. Having to repair the initial connection once with Linksys was less frustrating than reconnecting every 15 minutes. I'm about ready to just run a cable and be done with it.

Any thoughts on what could cause this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:39 AM

Well, you have taken some good steps in narrowing down the focus of the issue!

So, it appears there is something specific regarding THAT computer, vs the router, etc.

A good troubleshooting step would be to wire this computer. Take the cable between your DSL modem and router, and unplug it from the router. Now, plug it into the computer directly and reboot. Does the issue persist?

Something else to think about: A malware infection can cause connectivity issues. A malware infection wil USUALLY manifest itself in 4 stages:
  • The computer exibits buggy behavior, such as warnings appear, or some program doesn't always work right, etc.
  • The computer starts to run slow: takes longer to start, takes longer to shutdown, when you click on something it might delay a second or two before responding.
  • You start to have connectivity problems. You can't get on the internet, or you keep getting bumped off the internet. The internet connection works real slow, etc.
  • The computer won't boot.
Does this ring true for you? Does your computer fit the above description?

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 09 November 2006 - 08:44 AM.

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users