Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Verons88

Verons88

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:31 PM

I just did a system restore yesterday when my scanner is not working & everything seems ok then.
Now I can't see my Sygate Firewall icon on the taskbar today. (Previously it was visible) even after I restarted my pc, my taskbar looks missing a few ooptions i used to have before.

This include the little arrow(>>) beside the taskbar.
I have tried checking the Taskbar & Start menu properties, and everything looks ok.

My questions are:
1) How can I have my Sygate Firewall icon showing again?
2) How can I get the 'arrow' (which shows all my icons on the taskbar when clicked)
3) How to include a picture here?
It will be easier if I can paste a picture here of what 'arrow' Im talking about, how to paste a thumbnail here may I know? I tried the Insert Image button, but it asked for a URL instead (my picture thumbnail is at my desktop now & saved in jpeg format) I hope I can include some thumbnail I captured using PrtScn when I post a topic in future.
Pls advice, Thanks.

-verons88- :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:28 AM

A lot of this depends on why you did a System Restore - and when the missing items were added to your system.

This can be caused by viruses - or it can just be normal "glitches".

You may want to try this free, online scan to ensure that your system hasn't become infected or corrupted: http://safety.live.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for the link.
Sorry I forgot to inform what program I have at the moment:

*AVG Free 7.5
*AVG Antispyware (formerly know as ewido)
*Spybot Search&Destroy
*Sygate Personal firewall
*Ad-Aware SE Personal
*Spyware Blaster

- Ihave done a scan with all the prog listed above and it shows no infections. My Sygate is still working now, because it is sending me pops up of "An appplication named NT Kernel & Syatem has been blocked from accessing the network" every few minutes. This is normal, unless I got a hijack port attack.
Shall I try uninstalling my Sygate firewall & re-install it again? :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:24 AM

That's the usual fix for Sygate not appearing (I use it on my system).

But, this remains - was it, or was it not a viral infection that caused you to use System Restore? While those tools are good, viral infections can hang out in your System Restore waiting to be activated.

Depending on the extent of the infection, the other problems may be able to rectified by changing a few settings, if more serious, then you may have to do some registry editing to fix it, and the even more serious one's may necessitate a repair installation of Windows XP.

So, the question is not "are you infected" - but rather it's "what damage has the infection AND it's removal caused on your system"

Edited by usasma, 09 November 2006 - 11:25 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:31 PM

Before I did a system restore, I have used CCleaner to delete some 'missing shortcut'. (I shouldn't have use that program since im not good in pc troubleshooting). After that, when I try to import some image via my HP scanner, I got a 'TWAIN' error. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing my scanner software, but still I can't get things fixed. So my last resort is to use system restore. After my system has restored to an earlier date, my scanner is working fine again. Just that my Sygate icon was not visible at my taskbar...
I can still access my sygate firewall thru a shortcut I created in my desktop for the moment, to watch traffic logs...but not at the taskbar.

Edited by Verons88, 09 November 2006 - 01:25 PM.

Veronica Yeoh

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:56 PM

There is a discussion on the following forum about Sygate versions causing the same anomaly - see if you have one of the versions discussed.
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic20218.html

Using Registry editing aps when you do not know what you are allowing them to change or delete is extremely dangerous - even one like CCleaner which is considered one of the safer ones. The only one I would recommend you use is the one incorporated into the Windows One Care Free Scan available as an online scan from Microsoft. Since it was written for Win XP by Microsoft and doesn't require your interaction or knowledge of the registry entries it is far safer. It will also check for malware and viruses, clean temp files and defrag if needed.
Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

#7 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:42 PM

Open Sygate & go to Tools > Options, & set it to look like this :

Posted Image

Uncheck Hide Sygate System tray Icon . Click OK to apply. If it is unchecked, a reinstall may be necessary.

If you put a checkmark by Hide Notification Messages , you will stop getting the NT Kernal balloon from popping up. It will still preform the function & you will still get the normal firewall notifications that occur such as when an application tries to connect to the net, when an application has changed since the last time you used it, etc...

Edited by hillbillygreek, 09 November 2006 - 04:11 PM.

#8 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the answers usasma, hillbillygreek & Enthusiast :thumbsup:

Actually I have got the problem fixed after uninstall & reinstalling Sygate Presonal Firewall. Now the icon is visible again.

To hillbillygreek: I've done the setting u recomended & meantime not seeing any annoying Kernel pop-ups.

To Enthusiast : Thanks for the link & advice on pc scan.

-verons- :flowers:
Veronica Yeoh

#9 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:33 PM

oh hillbillygreek, I got to take away checkmark by Hide Notification Messages again, because though the Kernel pop ups stops, other warnings also didn't pop up as well (like the hijack port) warnings.

Unless I keep an eye on the little icon at the taskbar, I wont know if my port is scanned...
Anyway, any idea why Im getting a port attack message from sygate? Someone trying to invade my pc?

Guess I will post some questions regard port attack later.
Or has it already discussed? If yes, can u pls give me the link to it so I can understand more abt port attack?

Thank u very much.

-verons88-
(Veronica Yeoh) :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users