Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELLLLP!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jacob

jacob

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:00 AM

Well genius self deleted Administrators from my computer last night (ya i was tired, and was toggling with RUN > CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2.
Wanted to NOT have to type in a password when turning on the computer.
Deleted one profile that was ASP.net. Assuming it was not needed.

So how can I add an administrator back to WinXP pro., if I only have a Guest account on the computer, with Guest capabilities only? :flowers:

I tried system restore, but you guessed it, only an ADMINISTRATOR can do this
:thumbsup:
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:37 AM

Have you tried to re-create the accounts in safe mode?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jacob

jacob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:12 AM

Sure how do i do that?

(All I remember is when on start-up I have to hit F5, F10 or something along those lines?)

luv this smiley, had to use it.

Again, thanks.

#4 jacob

jacob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:39 AM

Okay I tried it, however, it still won't allow me to acces system restore in safe mode.
I really screwed myself didn't i?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:41 AM

F8 on boot-up, then choose Safe Mode.

Then go to Start / Control Panel / User Accounts, and create a new admin account
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 jacob

jacob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 02:14 PM

Nope, it still requires ADMIN level authorization to do so.
I think I'm only stuck with a Guest level on the OS now.

There has to be a way

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 02:36 PM

When I load winXP pro on my PC, from the beginning...

I choose a password.
I guess you do, too.

If I didn't see the admin at logon into safe mode, where I use this password, I'd be worried, too.

I created an account I use, a part of the administrator's group so I can do whatever I want system-wide anytime I'm on. I don't logon at the welcome screen. I use what they call Fast User Swithching. Settings.

But, back to your problem... Have you gone into C:\Documents and Settings to confirm that all the user's folders are there? Just Set your PC to: show hidden files. Check show hidden files & uncheck hide system files. Additional information here.

By default windows XP pro will have these: (the phawgg is the only other user account I have)

Posted Image

Not recommending that you make changes while there, but you might want to open each up and check to see whats there. Post back and/or track this topic in case a better answer comes along. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#8 jacob

jacob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:02 PM

Nope, i don't even have the Administrator folder.
Guest folder, which is the only way I log on, and that's it.

So Im stuck where I thought I'd be.
Do I at this point call Microsoft? (something which i dread to do)
There's gotta be a way?

#9 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:10 PM

Have you tried a bootdisk? Normally, they can be made with any type of account, but using the link below, you can make it without having to turn the computer off. Click the one you need from the list, and save it to a floppy disk. After you finished saving, leave the disk in the drive, and turn the computer on.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

When the computer comes up, you will see a different screen. It will look something like this:

C:>

That's ok. This means that it is working-it is commonly known as a DOS prompt. You will need more direction from there, so for now, take the disk out of the computer. Turn the power off, wait about 20 seconds, and turn it back on (without the disk in).

You did not make any changes, but I would like for you to post back to say if that worked.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#10 jacob

jacob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:24 PM

problem solved, very easy, read it on some other board.
http://www.techspot.com/vb/archive/index/t-65.html
just reading around and someone said put "administrator" as the login...and
then i thought well, when i have "kuba" as login and hit enter, maybe Administrator + ENTER may work and it did.

here's what i did.

took out the name "kuba" put "administrator" hit ENTER w/o a password, gave me Admin capabilities.

ta-da, restored to the 19th, perfect computer day for me lol.

Guys i really appreciate the replies and what not, and if i ever win the lottery Ill be sure to repay you for your efforts.... :thumbsup:

Edited by jacob, 22 December 2004 - 07:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users