Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Question About A Psu And A New Build

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:20 PM

I have all of my new parts for my first new build, wiped my hdd so that I would have a fresh drive, backed up all of my essentials, slipstreamed my OS and SP, and thought that I had everything ready...wrong.

What I discovered was that I had forgotten to take the PSU into consideration other than whether it would be large enough to support my new build. What I'm now looking at is my 20 pin connector on my PSU and the 24 and4 pin connectors on the motherboard.

My question is can I get buy for the time being using an adapter, or is there enough justification in the use of the 4 pin CPU connector to warrant the purchase of a new PSU?

My new modest build, btw...I'm not a gamer.

Biostar TForce 6100 939
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
PQI 512GB PC3200 (X-mas brings a second 512MB)
200GB Maxtor HDD
300W Antec PSU (from previous build)
NEC3550A DVD-RW
Sony FDD
Us Robotics modem

Edited by dc3, 08 November 2006 - 09:35 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:36 PM

Hmmm.....I'm no pro, but I did stay at a Holliday Inn Express last night.

I know that with some PSU's, they are "universal" (for lack of a better term). I had one that was good for either amd or intel (20 or 24 pin, can't remember what one goes to which), and the extra 4 pins just hang off the side unused. This actaully stumped me and I called tigerdirect.com and asked their techs about it, and they said it was fine. It worked just fine. You'll want to get your model number of your psu and verify this at the manufacturers website though.

If it's the other way around, and you're short 4 pins, then obviously you'll need an adapter or a new psu. Question is, what's the price difference? If an adapter is only (example) $30, and a new psu is (example) $100, then ya, I'd get the adapter if it were me.

However, if the adapter is say $60, and a new psu is $100, then I'd get the new psu (if you plan on replacing it eventually). If you don't plan on replacing it, then I'd get the adapter to save the $40 difference.

Hope this helps! Oh, and you might want to hold out for an opinion from someone who doesn't have to stay at a Holliday Inn Express to be smart :thumbsup: :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:40 PM

I would suggest a new power supply 350w, 400w, not that expensive.

here is an example at newegg with cooler master:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817171015

you need both the 24 pin and the 4 pin for the newer mainboards
they wont come out of standby(power on) without full power.

Edited by oldf@rt, 08 November 2006 - 11:41 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:43 PM

The cost isn't the issue, an adapter only cost a couple of dollars. The issure is whether there is an advantage to going with the new PSU which will have the 24 pin connetor and the CPU 4 pin connector.

My new motherboard has the 24 pin and 4 pin CPU connectors and my old PSU only has the 20 pin connector.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:49 PM

I would recommend a new power supply the 300 w that you have looks to be underpowered for the setup that you have.

running adapters will overload the 12v rail.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:18 AM

Thanks Oldf@rt, that's what I was looking for. Just before I came back here I was looking at that same PSU!

Do you know where I could get more information about the problems associated with the use of an older 20 pin connector on the newer motherboards?

Edited by dc3, 09 November 2006 - 01:33 AM.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:36 AM

You're Welcome.

Try this link: http://www.frozencpu.com/resource/r4/Selec...upply_Unit.html

not sure if it will help.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:51 AM

Hi oldf@rt, in this case you're preaching to the choir. I"m a semi-retired electrician with a good background in electronics and can well appreciate the need for a good PSU. I've always had a tendency to over engineer, and a 400W PSU for this build will be more that ample, as long as it is a good quality product.

Something that had been suggested to me in the past has gained merit as time goes by regarding buying a PSU. Basically it boils down to buying one by the weight, the better PSUs will have better transformers and capacitors which weigh more. Unfortunately the industry doesn't list the weight of the unit, but they will try to sell you a "peak power" figure which has no relevance in this industry...none!

I had the luck to be in the right place at the right time today, a friend is having a "going out of marriage" sale, and I picked up a new in the box 500W Antec PSU...$30.00, he's a friend, but I still can't help wonder what kind of a price I could have gotten if his wife had been selling it.

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:42 AM

I just dont like adapters. congrats on the acquisition.

they are used to make the incorrect item work, plus in computer circuits corrosion affects them easily.

PS i am fully retired fron the army (20 plus years working on mainframe, deployable systems, etc)

Edited by oldf@rt, 16 November 2006 - 07:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users