Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio And Video - Vhs,s-vhs And Hi8mm To Digital

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 barnie1528

barnie1528

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

Hi,

Hope you guys can help.

I have a Dell Dimensions PC with an Intel Pentium D processor 820 (2.80Ghz, 800mHz FSB, 2 x 1MB cache), whatever that means.

I have a single 256MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 7800 graphics card and my sound card is a "Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1.

I have years of VHS, S-VHS and Hi8mm analogue footage which I would very much like to convert to a format on my PC that I could convert to digital and save to a DVD for posterity.

This subject has caused a lot of confusion and I would appreciate if someone could provide me with a relatively plain and simple answer, or indeed point me to a tutorial link which would enlighten me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:34 PM

I have done quite a bit of tapes but I find that the quality of my finished product is not as good as the original tape. However, I use an old computer that is only 25% the speed of yours and an inexpensive video capture card. You need a video capture card that has inputs for your camera or tape player. It goes into one of your PCI slots inside your computer. It should have an RCA input and/or an S-video input. These are the usual analog inputs. In comparison, a digital sony camcorder would use firewire or usb inputs and you would not need an analog video capture card. As for software, even my cheap capture card came with all I needed to capture video. I also have the Nero suite that does anything you can think of that involves audio and/or video. After you capture your movie you can start editing it or else save it on your harddrive to work on another day. You can add menus and chapters and titles and even add your voice or your favorite songs to the project. Nero makes this all pretty easy. I have used two other capturing software programs as well and they all work fine for me. My processor is an amd duron 700hz and I have no problem capturing, editing, converting, and burning my movies to dvd. My capture card was free with a rebate so I have not spent any cash--- just a lot of time. As I said, my quality is not as good as the original but I do have some sort of backup of 20 years worth of vhs tapes and that gives me a little peace of mind. I believe my quality would improve if I actually spent money on this hobby. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users