Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry cleaner

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 caton_phil

caton_phil

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 06:28 AM

I just want to know from the "experts" out there, are these "Registry repair" and "registry cleaner" programmes you can get any good??? If so is it worth buying one and which one ( I haven't come across a free one yet :-)) ??

Thanks

Phil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:14 PM

"Easy Cleaner" by ToniArts is free, and there are many other freeware applications. However, you must use any such program with a great deal of caution because registry changes can have a serious effect your operating system. Unless you have some level of sophistication about computers, avoid making registry changes of any sort. Always make sure that any application you use has some kind of restore feature so you can undo any changes to the registry you make.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 22 December 2004 - 01:15 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:28 PM

Phil, I'm "expert" at very little. I'd download Iola System Mechanic 5 Pro and try it for 30 days. It has excellent help menus and great functionality. You don't need an elevated level of sophistication to use it. You do need to periodically "clean" your registry to maintain top performance, though. Might just as well learn a little at a time about it, and this might be a good way to start. I use it. It's fast & effective, understandably at the price they charge. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 gud4u

gud4u

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 10:09 PM

My favorite - and safest - registry cleaner is the registry-cleaning function of Ace Utilities. Fully functional download is free for 30 days, about $25 to buy.

My favorite 'free' utility is JV16 Power Tools. Excellent registry functions and many more functions.

Hope this helps!

#5 bem

bem

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:42 PM

I use all the above, and also have RegSeeker from Hoverdesk, also free:

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

I can't help myself, I collect utilities... :thumbsup:

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 09:11 PM

I can't help myself, I collect utilities...

:thumbsup: I know what ya' mean.
My first sysinternals download got me goin'. My heroes. :flowers:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 Gyan

Gyan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 12:44 PM

I just used RegSeeker after backing up with ERUNT. I started with the green colored entries and then, after a reboot and a quick verification, ended up clearing everything as suggested. Cheers.

#8 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:29 PM

Phawgg, or any other member out there who uses Ioala System Mechanic 5 Pro. I was wondering how this compares to Reg Supreme which I use and really feel secure with.
I am going to browse it and see what features it has but simply wanted comments if any one has experience with both.

Thankyou. :thumbsup:
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#9 easycigarman39

easycigarman39

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:50 AM

I have tried several registry cleaners over the past two years or so and so I write this to you based on a great deal of experimentation. I've tried all of the reg cleaners listed so far in your post replies + plenty of others as well. (I kinda geek-out on keeping both of my computers in tip top shape I guess). Anyway, I found that the free reg cleaners are subpar. I am a freeware junkie, and most of what I use is freeware, but one of the only programs I will ever pay for is a good registry cleaner. I set up my own sort of test to verify how effective these cleaners would prove themselves to be: I downloaded, installed, run, and then deleted a few programs that I knew that left a mess of file fragments and scattered entries. I then had each cleaner scan for results. It wasn't so much a matter of which cleaner found the most entries, but the most of the safest entries to delete. As for the freebies, RegSeeker "found" things on either of my computers that once removed, caused problems and so those entries had to be put back. EasyCleaner, for example, was just the opposite of RegSeeker in my opinion and it has a duplicate file finding function in it that, if handled incorrectly, could render your computer a real mess. (Duplicate file finding and deleting is a risky venture, and I don't recommend it unless you're sure about what you can delete). I could go on. You can't go wrong with any of these three listed alphabetically: Registry Mechanic, Registry Medic, Regsupreme (or RegSupreme Pro). My personal favorite is RegSupreme Pro since it features other useful functions like listing installed software. (This is good because sometimes after you think you've uninstalled something there's elements of it still there on your drive). Just remember to make sure your system is working properly before getting rid of any backups. You won't go wrong with any of the three (or four) I listed above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users