Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected By Worm/rbot Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Golconde

Golconde

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:46 PM

Hi!

I've got some worm which installed rwtn.exe.
Almost completed all steps in the preparation guide, except when I ran windows updates I was supposed to reboot to finalize the installations and then windows wouldn't start except for in safe mode.
Now I don't know what to do.

Don't know that much about computers, need some basic instructions, please!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:05 PM

Hi Golconde
You were in step 8 (Update Windows),finishing it ,at the reboot after updating Windows. Now you can only boot in Safe Mode? Were there any error messages?
Are you using XP,
What Antivirus, firewall and spyware programs do you have installed?

If XP try to Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt.

Either let it boot to safe mode or
> Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.
>Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
>Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
> Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Then finish the HIjack log
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Golconde

Golconde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:34 AM

Hi!

Been away this week so I haven't been able to answer.
The thing is that there weren't any error messages at all, it just rebooted and then it wouldn't start windows as usual so I came directly to where I could choose safe mode and stuff.

A friend came by to try to help me and he did the system restore thing, trying to go back to an earlier system restore point (though not through a command prompt, i think, cause he didn't type anything, just clicked the system restore and chose a point), but it didn't work. Twice.

Then I got frustrated and reinstalled XP instead, didn't have that much worth saving on my computer anyway.

Since I installed XP all over I guess I'm virusfree and everything now.
I've downloaded Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, ZoneAlarm Firewall and AVG anti virus so I hope I'm pretty safe now.
Thank you for your adwise though!

But are there things I should be aware of so this doesn't happen again?
I don't like installing automatic updates for windows (trust no one...). The updates I choose when this happened were all security updates for windows. Or should I just get all next time? And what's up with this Genuine Advantage thing? Is it worth having?

/ Linda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users