Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Auto Shutdown Without Warning.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Learner87

Learner87

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:25 PM

I'm facing a serious problem here. while i was using my com, my com will suddenly shut down without any warning. Izit my com over heat or insufficient RAM? My RAM is 512.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:36 PM

I don't know that a computer would shut down from insuffecient RAM. Defective RAM perhaps. But let's come back to that issue later, as there are more probable causes to your issue.

Overheating? Yes, sure could be. One clue that you often get (but not always) is the computer will slow down just as it is overheating, and just before it shuts down.

You would do well to follow the advice in the following tutorial: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Also please tell us if you have overclocked your CPU.

Usually when XP automatically reboots it is because Windows recieved an error. We need to make a change to a setting on your computer so we can find out exactly what the error is.

Go to:
Start > right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings
and uncheck Automatically Restart. Now when Windows receives an error it will show you a blue screen.

Now when you receive a blue screen the computer will pause on it and you will have to reboot manually.

The 'Blue Screen of Death' (or BSOD) is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that have this sort of format:

0x0000008E (Followed by four other sets of numbers in parenthesis.)

It is also helpful to know the answers to these questions:
  • What are you doing when this happens (are you on line, starting the computer, etc).
  • Does it always happen at the same time?
  • Is it always the same message, or is it a different set of numbers each time?
  • Have you added any hardware or software lately?
  • Are you experiencing any other buggy behavior from this computer (such as it runs slower than it used to, etc)?
Please complete all the steps above and report back with answers to all the questions above.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Learner87

Learner87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:10 PM

sry for din mention tht my computer is a laptop. I nvr overclock my laptop be4. This happens in the half way while i'm running a large program such as AutoCad to do my work or plying some games. It is always the same msg. I did nt add any software lately but uninstall some useless software. This happens since few weeks ago.
Posted Image

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:32 PM

You can still clean out the cooling system of a laptop by blowing into the fan area with a can of compressed air that can be bought for a reasonable price from a computer store or an office supply store.

Also, you still need to follow the rest of the advice in my previous post.

Just another note. No need for abreviations here. In fact they are discouraged as communication is the key to resolving your issue.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 olliek

olliek

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:33 AM

Hi Guys

I have a similar problem with my toshiba laptop. It shuts down at random intervals with no error messages. It restarts as normal. I have run NOD32 which has been unable to open some locked files but otherwise says all is fine. Is this more likely to be a virus than a hardware problem?

Thanks

Olliek

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:13 PM

Hi olliek and welcome to BC!

Likely this is an overheating problem also - but there's many possibilities. I'd suggest that you start your own thread for this problem. That'll get it the individual attention that it deserves - and you won't get confused with someone else's posting in this thread.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users