Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Internet Security Suffcient?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wwejosh

wwejosh

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:14 AM

Hello. Could i just say before I ask a few questions, that this site is amazing. I think it is really great that people are willing to give up their own time, to give someone else a hand. So congratulations to the moderator on such a great successful site, keep up the great work.

Anyway, I am consistently getting things come up in Spybot S & d, Ad-Aware and Spyware doctor. I scan once a week with these programs, as well as my Anti-virus software which is eTrust security Suite. But when I do the same scans a week later these problems re-appear (un-sure if they are the same problems). I am using the correct technique by scanning, deleting and then restarting the computer and doing the scan again.

Before I post my HijackThis log I want to make sure that my current security is up to scratch.
These are the programs I currently have:
eTrust Antivirus suite
Spyware doctor
AVG 7.5 - Ewido
Trojan Hunter
Ad-Aware

Also I have recently switched to FireFox, which makes me think these files are being re-downloaded once they are deleted.

Are these programs sufficient?
If not what can I get instead to replace it (preferably free)? Links
Do you have it, pros & cons?

Thank you for your time, Help greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:02 AM

iIt looks like you are running more than 1 Anti-Virus. This is not recommended and will stiop them from performing sucessfully.

The spyware removal tools are normally very good like SpyBot S&D and the new AVG one is good too.

I would also make sure you have a firewall in place.
Posted Image

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:21 AM

Now that you are using Firefox, I would suggest you install two extensions in Firefox that will make your browser secure against malware attacks and block unwanted ads. They are NoScript and Adblock.
Probably most of what your antimalware programs are identifying are "Third party cookies". You can keep those from ever installing on your computer by following the settings below:
How to block third party cookies in Internet Explorer:
Click start/control panel/double click Internet Options/click privacy tab/click advanced/check override automatic cookie handling/uncheck always allow session cookies/select block third-party cookies/click OK
Third-party cookies track your use of the Internet for advertising purposes. That is why they are considered adware/spyware.

In Firefox click on tools/click options/choose cookie tab/check allow sites to set cookies/check for the originating site only/in keep cookies window choose ask me every time (this will allow you to decide whether to accept first party cookies or not on the site you are viewing. Firefox will remember what you chose when you next visit the same site.)
Click OK

If you are finding malware other than cookies I would suggest you post a Hijack This Log by following the instructions here:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Remember, the best defense against malware is "Your Safe User Habits".
There is another program that will help you decide whether a site is safe or not. Install McAfee SiteAdvisor on both IE and Firefox.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:18 PM

Hello.
These are the programs I currently have:
eTrust Antivirus suite
Spyware doctor
AVG 7.5 - Ewido
Trojan Hunter
Ad-Aware

In addition to those already mentioned, I also have and suggest the following:

IE SPYAD = http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm

+ Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Follow the links)= http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...ory/912840.mspx
MS Windows Defender - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

SpywareBlaster/SpywareGuard - Freeware = http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
and
AnalogX Script Defender- Freeware = http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/sdefend.htm
and
http://www.winpatrol.com = Freeware

http://www.spyware-removal-guideline.com/

As for a software firewall, as suggested by projectfocus, I use the free Comodo Firewall = http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com
How are you connected? Are you using a router?

The most important thing to keep in mind of course, regardless of which anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spyware and firewall you use is to keep it UPDATED, just as it is important to make sure you have all windows critical and security updates + http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Edited by sultan_emerr, 08 November 2006 - 02:29 PM.

#5 wwejosh

wwejosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:12 AM

Now that you are using Firefox, I would suggest you install two extensions in Firefox that will make your browser secure against malware attacks and block unwanted ads. They are NoScript and Adblock.

In Firefox click on tools/click options/choose cookie tab/check allow sites to set cookies/check for the originating site only/in keep cookies window choose ask me every time (this will allow you to decide whether to accept first party cookies or not on the site you are viewing. Firefox will remember what you chose when you next visit the same site.)
Click OK

Firstly thanks for the response. Buddy215 I have downloaded these two extensions, how do i use them?

Also I can't understand the Firefox instructions, for starters i cant find the cookie tab.

What I'm really asking is, is my current Anti-virus program doing its job (eTrust Security suite, it has Anti-Virus, Firewall, Anti-spam and eTrust pest patrol)? The Anti-Virus didn't seem to pick up Smit-fraud I had a while ago, although Spy Bot and Ad-Aware did. Quite disappointed about it as it is a commercial Security suite. Is there something better for free?

Spyware Doctor picks up cookies when I scan, but I can't understand why the On guard doesn't. Also is their an alternative product for Spyware Doctor that is better?

sultan_emerr I'm not really looking for spyware, virus, trojan etc removers eg Spy Bot S & D. I posted not to remove these problems, but to prevent them from happening next time.

Help appreciated, thanks for reading.

J

Edited by wwejosh, 09 November 2006 - 04:30 AM.

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:00 AM

I also added the two extensions Buddy215 recommended.

The Firefox Tools/Options advice I could not follow as it wasn't there.

This is possibly to do with the fact I have updated Firefox to the latest version and the parameters are changed. Is it possible Buddy 215 could explain how to set these settings on the latest Firefox version?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:11 AM

If your using Firefox version 2.0, cookies settings are found by:
Click Tools.
Select Options....
Click the Privacy icon.

In this version, the only checkbox is Accept cookies from sites.
If you decide to accept cookies, put a check in that box, click the dropdown arrow underneath it, and select ask me everytime.

Personally, I prefer to leave that box unchecked, and use the Exceptions... button.
If it's a site I trust, I'll add it to the Exceptions list.
That way, only those sites can set cookies.
In the Address of web site: box, type in the URL of the site you want to allow cookies from.
Click the Allow button.
When your done, click the Close button.
Now, that site, will always be allowed to set cookies.

You can also use this to always block cookies, from certain sites.
Follow the above directions, and instead of clicking the Allow button, click the Block button.

If it's a site that has to use cookies to function, but you don't want them to remain on your computer (in my case, Yahoo Mail), use the Allow for session button.
That way when you close Firefox, the cookies set by that site will be removed.

You can also use the Show cookies... button, to remove individual cookies.
Just chose the cookie you want to remove, and click the Remove Cookies button.

Edited by tg1911, 09 November 2006 - 07:23 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:07 AM

It seems that Firefox 2.0 has changed the way one can deal with third party cookies. In researching a way to block these cookies in the new firefox I came across a lot of complaints on this issue. The skeptic in me says they have sold out to advertisers-- particularly Google-- as their excuse for changing the options for handling cookies is pretty lame. However, I did find a way around this change.

http://www.ghacks.net/2006/11/03/how-to-di...ies-in-firefox/
http://www.ghacks.net/category/browsing/firefox/

The developers of Firefox removed the option to disable third party cookies in firefox 2.0 stating the reason that it was not possible to block all third party cookies with this function. Third Party Cookies are mainly cookies that track user behavior, the big ad networks for instance like to use them a lot. There are basically two options to disable third party cookies in Firefox.

The first would be to disable it manually by opening about:config from the address bar. Search for network.cookie.cookieBehavior and take a look a the value. If it is set to 0 you accept all cookies, 1 means you only accept cookies from the same server, 2 means you disable all cookies. Setting it to 1 has the same effect that the option in the old firefox browsers had: it disables third party cookie

I promised a second option. You could install a add-on as well that blocks third party cookies. One of the many extensions that does that is called CookieSafe. This one for instance makes it possible to disable all cookies and allow them only for specific sites (whitelist). There is no need that most sites store cookies when you are visiting them unless you have an account on that site.

I would suggest you go to the site in the above link for further info on using Firefox.
Using NoScript is really easy. When you go to a new site all scripting is blocked. Click on the NoScript button at the bottom of your screen and you will see all the different script blocks itemized. There may be several. If you want to interact with the site, for instance logon, you will need to activate the script for that particular site. You will recognize that Google and other advertisers want to run script. Those you can leave blocked. You can reverse any decisiion you make by simply clicking allow or block after clicking on the NoScript button.
I would suggest you read the Adblock help file. For the most part, using Adblock is as easy as hovering your cursor over the ad and right clicking and choosing block the ad in the drop down box. Adblock will remember your decision and you will soon be viewing pages without all the flashy ads that distract and block content.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users