Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Broke?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:15 AM

Well I have to put like lots of pressure on a certain part of my laptop for it to work, otherwise it just stops.

Lol, and ofcourse I cant just have one elbow leaning on the latpop whilst im trying to type.. :thumbsup:

So annoying.

Ive opened the back of my laptop and I dont see anything loose or anything, so I dunno, maybe a switch or whatever it is, isnt making a connection, and thats why it works when I put pressure on...??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:22 AM

Check and see if moving your a/c adaptor makes the computer work/not work. It is common for the d/c power jack on laptops to get loose, or corrode. If that is the issue, they can be replaced. The actual part is only $10 to $20 USD, but the labor will run $100 to $200 USD to fix. (Of course, you could fix it yourself if you are REAL good at repairing laptops and soldering very small parts.)
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:20 AM

What part of the laptop are you apllying preasure to. Or does it not mater as long as preasure is applied.

Do you always run it from battery or mostly with the power cable attached.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#4 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:03 PM

Well, its next to the mousepad, I opened it, and its around the bluetooth chip, so I'm not too sure why.. :thumbsup:

#5 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:56 PM

Does your laptop turn off without pressure or just glich or freeze? What kind of laptop is it?
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:55 PM

Usually run from power, battery always in.

It just freezes...

As soon as I turn power on, i have to apply pressure

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:03 PM

This is obviously a hardware problem that is being caused by a loose connection somewhere in the computer.

Does this occur when you are using just the battery?

#8 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:23 PM

Just took the charger out, and yes, I still need to apply pressure.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:01 PM

Make sure the battery is making good contact.
Try cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser.

Does it ever freeze while you are applying pressure?

#10 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:22 PM

Nope.

Does it matter that where I apply pressure nowhere near the battery?

What contacts do I clean? on the battery?

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:35 PM

Yes, where you apply pressure does matter - but it depends on how the laptop was built.

Yes, you clean the contacts on the battery (and on the computer if you can reach them easily enough to clean the eraser pieces out after cleaning them).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:40 PM

Ok, did that, but still nothing, have resorted to taping laptop to the desk.. hahaha...

Any other ideas? :thumbsup:

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:06 PM

Since a lot of the components inside the laptop case are connected to the case, it's possible that the place you put the pressure is not the actual location of the problem.

I'd suggest that you have someone experienced with laptop repair take a look at it.

Or, you could tape a cinder block to that spot! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:13 PM

So Im going to have to spend money one way or another? Oh well. Thanks for the help anyways

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:21 AM

Unless you can handle dissassembling the computer to find the bad contact or open connection (which could be anywhere including a bad circuit on the motherboard, loose or bad capacitors, loose, bad or improperly contacting ram or any other piece of equipment including the keyboard) and have test equipment and knowledge and a schematic to diagnose and repair it, a pro would be the only answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users