Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Surfing: Two Free Programs To Help Keep You Out Of Dangerous Sites

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:36 AM

Hi All:

Anyone using Firefox or IE should know about two add-ons that could help you from falling into a world of hurt - SiteHound and SiteAdvisor:

http://www.sitehound.com/support/help/WebHelp/index.html

http://www.siteadvisor.com/

Both are free programs and both employ the same concept: they collect information about dangerous sites and alert you if you happen to arrive at one.

SiteHound describes itself as follows:

"We test the Web to help keep you safe from spyware, spam, viruses and online scams.

SiteHound's unique database is a global community of users and experts actively reporting potentially malicious websites ..."

The way it works is that if you arrive at a site that others have found harmful, it brings up a page warning you about the site and giving you a choice of whether to enter or not.

McAfee's SiteAdvisor does pretty much the same thing as SiteHound though without interposing a page. Instead a small icon in the toolbar alerts you by changing color. Clicking on the icon will then bring up detailed information about the site including the tragic stories of those who were unwise enough to enter.

After installing these programs I've received very useful alerts from both as one tends to catch what the other misses.

And if everyone were to install them I think it might help considerably to lighten the load of Bleeping Computer's hard-working moderators, a bunch for whom I have nothing but admiration.

Cheers,

scratcher.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:09 AM

I'll definately have to check these out! Thanks for the links! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Professional

Professional

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:07 AM

Thanks, I already have been using SiteAdvisor and now im downloading SiteHound.

Thank You scratcher :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#4 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:47 AM

You're welcome.

Although I don't really do all that much surfing I'm finding that every few days one or the other of these programs flashes a warning.

They really do seem to work well, and I guess they'll just get better and better as their database of suspect sites continues to grow.

Cheers,

scratcher.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

#5 Professional

Professional

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:28 AM

Installed SiteHound, haven't come across a bad site yet but looks very promising, just one bad thing; MASSIVE Database, for dial-up users like me datatbase took me like 1.5Hrs to download.

Thanks Scratcher
Posted Image

#6 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:36 AM

How I wish either (or both) of these programs worked with Netscape browser - drat! - they sound like great things to have working on any computer.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#7 yame

yame

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 04:51 AM

Thanks alot man

#8 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:27 AM

Installed SiteHound, haven't come across a bad site yet but looks very promising, just one bad thing; MASSIVE Database, for dial-up users like me datatbase took me like 1.5Hrs to download.

Thanks Scratcher

Hi Pro:

You're welcome. Yes, the database is large but now it's installed you'll find that the daily updates won't take so long to download as they're usually fairly small.

As for dangerous sites, they are out there. I tend to get a warning every few days so it shouldn't be long before you do.

Cheers,

scratcher.

#9 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:52 AM

How I wish either (or both) of these programs worked with Netscape browser - drat! - they sound like great things to have working on any computer.

Hi MaraM:

So why don't you install Firefox and try it out?

I used Netscape for many years and was pleasantly surprised when I decided to try Firefox. It seems to be an updated and improved version of Netscape, although I don't think it's billed as that, and as a Netscape user you'll find the layout perfectly familiar.

It's strange because Thunderbird too seems to be an updated and slicker version of the Netscape mail program and also has pretty much the same layout. I thought I was going to have to learn two new programs when I switched but it was more or less like being back in Netscape.

Another plus is that your bookmarks can be imported into Firefox, and Address Book, Mail, and Settings into Thunderbird, directly from Netscape which makes the transition really painless.

Cheers,

scratcher.

#10 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 06:12 AM

I was going to suggest that too, Mara. Browser use is a matter of choice so why not try the alternatives and see what you think.

You can safely run them all at once. I quite often have IE, FireFox and Opera going at once if I have the need. At times it is easier than back tracking thru heaps of pages on one browser. eg I always keep the bank running on one browser when I am doing online trading on another.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#11 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 06:20 AM

Hi :thumbsup:

I use SiteAdvisor and it's a great tool doing what it's supposed to do: warn me about bad/questionable site simply by changing a color. I am not that positive about Sitehound since you're asked to upload the database all the time and you have another bar on your screen. In short I don't consider it to be as practical as SiteAdvisor.

:flowers:

#12 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:09 AM

I use SiteAdvisor all the time but don't stay off all sites just because the colour changes. Some sites I go to regularly I know are fine, it is the links that are dangerous. Site Advisor is a great warning tool, keeping you aware.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#13 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:29 AM

"SocketShield" is a free to use, on-line link-scanner by Exploit Prevention Labs. One just pastes the link to be checked on the site and get an immediate evaluation.

SocketShield will inspect in real-time for any hidden exploit code, and what exploit it may find is displayed.

I keep an Fx tab open for "SS" all the time. Or one can purchase the utility.

http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/default.asp

Edited by KoanYorel, 26 November 2006 - 08:30 AM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#14 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:03 PM

I had no idea that one could actually use more than one browser at the same time - hoot - ah, the wonderful things I learn here!!

Off to download and try using Firefox in just a moment. Have always loved my Netscape but there are some site that don't recognise Netscape and also the wee pesky problem of so many online 'bug checkers' not working with it either.

Thanks so much for all the information - truly do appreciate it!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#15 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:33 AM

"SocketShield" is a free to use, on-line link-scanner by Exploit Prevention Labs. One just pastes the link to be checked on the site and get an immediate evaluation.

SocketShield will inspect in real-time for any hidden exploit code, and what exploit it may find is displayed.

I keep an Fx tab open for "SS" all the time. Or one can purchase the utility.

http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/default.asp

Hi:

Many thanks for the link. I didn't know about this one. It looks good and I'll be trying it out.

Regards,

scratcher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users