Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question On Setting Up Network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:34 PM

Hi I have 2 computers I want to network, although im not sure i can do it the way i want to. The first computer has a wireless card and thats how it connects to the internet. The second computer doesnt connect to the internet at all. They both have a built in ethernet jack on the motherboard.

I want the first computer to stay connected to the internet the way it is, and then I want to network the 2 computers together via a router and 2 cables from the motherboard ethernet jacks.

The router might be wireless, havent decided yet. But if it is can i set it up as the 2 computers are network from the router (like above), and set it anybody else that wants to connect wirelessly can do that also?

Im thoroughly confused when it comes to networking. Dial up was a lot easier. :thumbsup:

-Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:22 PM

Does anyone at least know how to network 2 computers together using a router?

-Nick

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:57 AM

right the easyest way would be to keep the PC that is connected via wireless like it is. The router will most likely have a ethernet puort on the back. Connect that to the other machine. Either that or use a wireless USB dongle for the other machine and run them both through wireless.

You don't really want to have both machines linked dirrectly to eachother through a ethernet cable. If you do decide to do it that way then you will need a crossover cable. This is different from a normall patch lead as the transmit and recieve pairs are reversed.

I would say the best option would be to put them both on wireless as this is a small cost for a USB wireless Dongle.
The second best would be to use a CPatch lead from the back of the router to the other PC aslong as there is support for it.
And lastly would be a direct connect method.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#4 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:48 PM

Yes I am going to keep the first computer connected to the internet the way it is. The second computer is not going to be connected to the internet at all.

What I want is to use 2 patch cables and a router to connect the computers, as the wireless I already have for the internet creates more problems than I want anyway. Plus I have no money for anything right now, especially wireless stuff. :thumbsup: Another reason I want the router is so when I get my other computer going again I can just plug it into the router along with the other 2. So eventually there will be more than just 2 computers networked together.

Also the router I have is wireless, so after I set up the computers with wires, can I also use the wireless, like have my dads laptop connect into it wirelessly? The only thing this network will be used for is games.

And when you say plug the computer into the router, the router has a 'Wan' port (which I am assumeing is the modem port, the plug is for a ethernet cable), then 4 other ports for 4 more computers. Do I connect the 1st computer into the Wan port, then the other computers into port 1, port 2, etc. Or do I ignore the Wan port (because this isnt going to connect to the internet) and plug computer 1 into port 1, computer 2 into port 2, etc?

Thanks,

-Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users