Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Ports Don't Work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adkron

adkron

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:04 PM

Hi,

It was too good to be true.

I thought my problems were over after installing and upgrading my RAM. However after installing it (my computer runs much faster but no longer will boot if I have my flash card plugged into my USD plug. If I unplug it will boot. I than plug in my flash card and go to device manager. I click USB Mass Storage ht Device and get the message “Please wait while the wizard searches…” I takes a while but it finds Removable Disk (F) and it shows up on my control panel. I click it and the hour glass shows up and after it’s gone I never see the contents of the flash drive. I than right click USB Root Hub let click Properties and get the message, “This device is working properly,” but it is not.

Can anyone tell me how to get my USP ports to work again?

Click http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?show...=128211&hl= to see upgrade specifics.

Question 2. When I shut down my computer it goes into a hibernate state. How do I prevent this and get it to do a full shut down?

Thanks,

adkron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:48 PM

Duplicate thread - I posted a reply on the other one.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:08 PM

Duplicate thread - I posted a reply on the other one.

Hi USAMA,

Thanks for your help. I have a bunch to do to check "these things" out. I have been able to fix part of the problem. I have an explanation below.

As a side bar I saw that your username is an abbreviation for U.S. Army Sergeants Major Academy. From this I assume you are an Army Vet. I am also but I only served three years on active duty. I was a grunt (Senior Rifleman) a long time ago and appreciate all those that serve our country. It’s our Troops that keep us free.

I stopped my computer from hibernating and my USB ports started working again. I suspected something was wrong with the ports when my computer would not boot with anything plugged into any one of my four ports but would boot if I left them empty. I still have problems when my my Canon PIXMA MP830 Printer is plugged in. My computer still will not boot with it plugged into a USB port. I turn the printer off and the computer will boot. I than turn the printer on and it will print. It may be something the printer is doing. I am going to ask Canon support for help here.

I’ll let you know how I make out after running your recommendations.

Thanks you all for your help,

adkron

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:43 AM

Wow! I'm getting confused by the different threads! (I've got eye problems). I posted some suggestions on the other thread.

Just FYI - When I logon to BC in the AM, I start by looking at those posts marked as "unread" by me - so whichever is oldest is the first one that I look into. Then I work my way up the list until it's clear of unread posts.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 adkron

adkron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:20 PM

Hi,

I have received help from hp Support. By phone a couple of months ago hp Support told me to contact Canon about my problem. That it was my new printer’s fault. Today by e-mail a hp Support person said it was a BIOS problem and I had to reset the BIOS. They told me how to do so and it fixed the problem. My computer now boots with my printer plugged in.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me,

Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users