Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioning My Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ONE

ONE

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:09 PM

Hey all,

I do a lot of computer based music recording and production. I recently installed a few anti-virus, firewall software products to protect myself from the corruption of the internet. Because my computer is quite dated, at least 2 or 3 years old, these background, shadow programs really eat up my CPU and memory usage. This makes it completely impossible to use any of the VST's or other software I need to use.

I know I should really update the hardware of my computer, but, one I can't really afford to right now, and two I still have not decided what hardware is going to be the best for my applications.

So I decided I would partition my hard drive and create a separate login. This way I can remove the background programs and use my music software on one and do my research on the other. The problem I'm having is removing the software from one login seems to remove it on both. Do I have to reinstall everything separately for each user or is there another way of going about this.

So far my attempts to uninstall/remove programs has failed.

As always any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Thanks all, ONE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:28 AM

I am not quite fully understanding why this is wanted to be done.
I gather you have 2 user accounts and want differant software installed for each account. This does not seem a feasible option as the install will be bound to the operating system that is running on that partition.

The only way that this will truly be possible is to do Dual boot and have 2 instances of Windows and having the programs installed under their own instance of Windows.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#3 ONE

ONE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:53 AM

Yeah,

This was a stupid idea. I was hoping to decrease my CPU usage by removing the majority of the background processes on one login, making it possible to use my audio/video recording software again w/o as much latency.

I did some more research and found that after installing a few new pieces of hardware and software I had dramatically increased the number of useless background programs.

So, I have spent the better part of the last hour weeding through these processes. Hopefully I will balance out to where I need to be to run the software I want to run.

Thanks for the reply but this case is closed :thumbsup:

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:02 AM

Maybe if you remove some of the processes from startup through services and such turn them to manual and then they will only start when you open the programs.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:40 AM

FWIW - you can specify different hardware profiles for your system to select on boot. That way the un-needed devices won't be loaded.

I do this with my laptop - so only the wireless or the wired connection is enabled when I'm using it (not both).

Edited by usasma, 09 November 2006 - 09:41 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users