Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CMOS checksum error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Undertaker

Undertaker

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:36 AM

I am using an old computer running Windows 98 2nd edition. I bought it in 1997. It has only 32 mb of memory, but it gets the job done.

For about a year now, (maybe more), I have been getting a CMOS checksum error every time I start the computer. It tells me to hit the F1 key, and then loads the default settings. I then have to reset my clock because it gets reset to midnight Jan. 1997. Besides getting a new computer, does anyone have any advise? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I would love to add some memory to this dinosaur, but have got some sketchy advise on what type I need. Best Buy wanted an amount of money that I could have bought a new computer with. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:30 PM

Start the computer and enter the CMOS before it starts loading windows. You will probably have to press F1 or F2 to get into it.

Once in the cmos check for an option to load default or reset configuration. You may want to write down the current config settings before you do so in case it does not boot properly.

Reboot your computer and see if the error goes away.

If it still happens it is possible that the CMOS battery is failing or already bad. If that is the case you may want to replace the battery, if that is even possible. Look inside your case and see if you can find a battery on your motherboard and tell me if it looks like it can be replaced or is soldered. THere may be a slot for an additional replacement battery. Try these steps and get back to us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users