Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Time Out?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:39 PM

The situation is this: Every day at 4:57pm CST to 5:03pm CST I cannot connect to Bleeping Computer. I have confirmed this by making a point to attempt connection numerous times. It is not browser related as I have checked on IE and Firefox. I can connect to any other website during that time. If anyone knows why this is or care to make a guess I am open to any suggestion. This is not by any means a problem that is causing me concern but does make me curious.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:44 PM

The BC board goes into a back up the data base routine three times a day.

EST @ 2am, 10am, and 6pm.

Sometimes it takes several minutes for a back up to complete.

//Edit to correct times above.

Edited by KoanYorel, 21 November 2006 - 11:36 AM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the explanation. So I am not the only one who can't connect. I have noticed that the time shown at BC is 2 to 3 minutes ahead of my time. So that would make it exactly 5:00pm BC time. Thanks again.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:06 PM

Grinler knows that the BC's board clock is a bit off and will be correcting it in the near future.

I've been told that the back up process may get longer as the data base grows too.
Those few minutes of "stall" time are worth it though should the data base crash.
Recovery is much quicker with the multiple daily backups, and not so much data may be lost.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users