Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat And Reinstall Windows Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 taurus01

taurus01

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:28 AM

Hi Folks:

I need to reformat my hard disk and reinstall Windows XP because of a bot worm and I have a few questions.
My original Windows installation was Windows ME and I have the Windows XP upgrade disk. Can I do a complete XP reinstall from the upgrade disk? I don't think I have the original ME disks any more .
How do I protect myself from attack while I reconnect to the internet to install all the Windows and antivirus software updates?
That's it for now but I'm sure I'll have more!
Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:54 AM

Can I do a complete XP reinstall from the upgrade disk? I don't think I have the original ME disks any more .

Yes you can, but you need your ME disk to qualify for using the XP upgrade.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:23 AM

yeah you will need to have a licenced version of ME on the system for the upgrade to work. You may be able to talk to the microsoft helpline about this and they can provide you a new key if it is provable to them that you do have a original licence for ME. Just explain your situation. Have a look on the system for a sicker with a ME serail number on. This will be needed as proof of ownership.

As for the AV and updates. Yes get AV on there straight away. Even before connecting to the net if possible. Do you already have software or are you looking for some. I use AVG free and it is really good and does not use up all the memory of the system. Then do all of the windows updates. Make sure you keep installing updates until it says there are no more updates to be installed as otherwise it will not always load all of them at the same time and you have connect again to get the last few. It is all dependant on the age of the install version CD.

anyway I hope this helps.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:48 AM

I recommend getting all of the Windows updates before installing any antivirus, or any programs for that matter. This is the order in which I do things:
  • Install Windows
  • Install Drivers
  • Install updates
  • Install programs
Although I have read that Microsoft recommends this order:
  • Install Windows
  • Install Updates
  • Install drivers
  • Install programs
But I have found that order hard to follow as you usually need to install the LAN driver and sometimes the graphics driver just so you can download the updates, so I just install all of the drivers and have never had a problem with that order (yet).
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 taurus01

taurus01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:54 AM

[quote name='Albert Frankenstein' date='Nov 7 2006, 11:48 AM' post='387612']
I recommend getting all of the Windows updates before installing any antivirus, or any programs for that matter.

Wouldn't I be vulnerable to attack while installing updates or for any other reason I was connected to the Internet?

#6 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:07 PM

Well that is my theory. In a ideal world you would use a AV'd machine to get all of the upgrade files. Then installing all of the updates the AV before attaching to the net.

I managed to get a virus from doing the updates first. Just from attaching to the net for 5 mins with no firewall. If you have a firewall then you are more likely to be fine. I then had to reload windows completely.

Just thought I would make people aware of the posibilities when not having AV on a machine that is connected to the web.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:12 PM

Both of you are correct. I operate behind a router with a firewall, and if you don't, then I suggest you go out TODAY and buy one. I have never infected a computer doing it the way I spelled out, and I have done hundreds and hundreds here in my shop.

Go directly to the update site FIRST. Do not go to any other site. Work from behind a router. The odds that you will get infected are slim indeed. Perhaps close to non-existant.

Start > All Programs > Windows Update near the top of the list

Reinstalling your data can get you reinfected.

Not properly deleting the old info off of your hard drive can also get you reinfected.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 taurus01

taurus01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:42 PM

Well, you bring up another point: Will a simple reformat sufficiently clean my hard drive or do I need some other software to do a good job?

And I am behind a router with a firewall and still picked up a bot worm. Are there updates for firewalls?

All of this information is very much appreciated.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:51 PM

Some infections will survive a simple reformatting.

To be sure to totally clean the disk, use Killdisk, a program that comes in a free version. Once you run that program, you must boot to a Windows 98 startup disk and run fdisk to repartition the drive. Then you can reinstall Windows but must choose Full Format when prompted. No infection will survive this process.

However, like I said earlier, reinstalling your data can be risky as it may contain the malware.

Here are more complete instructions in the use of Killdisk:
~~~~~~~~~
You can run Killdisk to delete everything including any infections. This is a free progam and can be downloaded HERE. Put the program on a floppy disk or a CD.

Then run a DOS disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk, when the computer boots to DOS, type "C:" (without the quotes), push ENTER. Then type "fdisk" (without the quotes), push ENTER, then just push ENTER at each selection that you are prompted to make (in other words, just accept all defaults). You can download what you need HERE.

Then reboot with your XP CD in the cd drive and reinstall Windows, being sure to choose "Full Format" instead of quick format when prompted.

Be careful about reinstalling your data as it may contain a virus or other malware.
~~~~~~~~
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#10 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:51 AM

I use killdisk at work. It is free and with all the recovery programs I have tried none find any data to recover.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#11 taurus01

taurus01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for all your help with this problem. I'm not out or the woods yet though. I've successfully cleaned the hard drive and partitioned it. However, I've misplaced the recovery disk for the computer and XP upgrade won't load because there is not an old verison of windows on the machine.
I contacted HP to get a disk and they don't have them for computers more than 3 years old. They suggested buying the full version of XP, but Bill already has enough of my money.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get XP on my machine again without paying for it twice?

Thanks again (and again and again...)

Joe

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:52 PM

See if you can get the 25 digit key for your ME installation from HP and then call Microsoft support for assistance.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:18 PM

It'll be cheaper to buy a copy of ME - then use it for the upgrade.

EDIT: I just sent you a PM on this subject.

Edited by usasma, 10 November 2006 - 04:20 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users