Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition Hdd

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Verons88

Verons88

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:28 AM

Hello, I just got a new laptop (DELL) running on Win XP ser pack 2 (original).

I have a 80gb HDD, and for the meantime, I have saved most of my works in C drive (my document).

I used to send my pc for partition at the shop and they charge me for doing so.

May i know how to do it SAFELY myself, without needing to reformat the whole thing? (I appreciate if u can pls provide a step by step guide)

Thank u.......!

-verons- :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:00 AM

Have a look at this program it is free and should do the trick for you. I have not used it myself ut it is meant to be a free use software like partition magic.

http://partitionlogic.org.uk/
Posted Image

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:51 AM

PartitionMagic will partition your hd for you without reformatting it.

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:21 AM

Is there a usable version of partition magic that is free?
I know they do a trial but I am sure I found that it was a non working demo.
If this is free I am going to have to add this to my ever growing list of useful software.
Posted Image

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:23 PM

Personally, I've never tried it. The one you mentioned may be the right one for the job, especially if it's FREE.

Upto this point, I've never had a need for a program like that. When I partition a hd, I want a clean slate, so I always reformat them. I'd hate to just repartition my hd and the same or similar problem comes up.

If a person has the means to backup their data, I'd suggest a clean-slate hd. At least you know you've done every step to make it right......... the 1st time.

#6 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've downloaded the prtitionlogoc, but never use it yet because Im have no idea how to 'back up my data'. I don't know how to do the reformat also. I have considered to remormat my laptop because I was infected by some adware/malware/trojan backdoor previously (now it's fixed with Adaware & AVG) So I think it's best to get it reformat, but how?

Any step by step instructions?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:18 PM

Listen.. if you reformat your hd, ALL data on that hd will be lost. Are you sure you want to do that? Although there are softwares out there to recover the deleted/reformatted hd, I wouldn't stake a chance on my info.

Also, if you're going to backup your hd, you need at least that same amount of space on another hd (the most particular choice) or the same hd. Your choice would be to transfer it to a physical/different hd.

Simply transfer your data from hd to another, then load the OS cd inside the computer you want to repartiton/reformat... reboot.. and while it's rebooting, hit the DEL key. Once it takes you into the BIOS system, tell it to boot from the cd. After making the changes... reboot, and it'll boot from the cd, and just follow the prompts and messages from there. you should be fine.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:33 AM

Partition logic looks like it will do the same things that Partition Magic does and it's freeware.

What are you going to use to back up the system to?
Do you have a second hard drive?
You can use the Windows Backup utility to perform backups.

Do you still have the malware infection? Because if you do you may back that up as well - be careful.

After you format, how are you going to reinstall Windows? Do you have a Windows XP installation cd or a factory Restore cd?

#9 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:18 PM

Hi Enthusiast & walkman, thank u for the reply.

I currently using Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop, comes with a 'Reinstallation CD' of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2. The CD says 'not for reinstallation of programs or drivers'.

I dont have a second hard drive, but considering saving my work files to a CD or thumb drive before reformat.

Regarding the malware/spyware, my recent scan with Spybot, Ad-aware lavasoft, AVG Antispy & AVG Antivirus shows no infections. But I heard that some virus/malware can hide themselves from the scan. Im worried because I previously (8 days ago) got a warning from my AVG saying 'trojan backdoor' identified.
I clicked heal. Now Im not sure if the trojan is still there.

I think I will go for a full reformat, but then as I have not done this myself before, I dont know how to do the step by step installation when doing reformat. (eg: type: format_C/....?) I dont know what to type in the BIOS.

Quote from walkman "Once it takes you into the BIOS system, tell it to boot from the cd. After making the changes... reboot, and it'll boot from the cd, and just follow the prompts and messages from there. you should be fine."

My question:
*What will happen if I cant escape the BIOS system windows?
*What changes shall I make?
*Which prompts shall I follow?(what to change and what to remain)

So sorry for the questions, cos it looks like 'Reformat windows for dummy'. here...
Thanks again for your time
-verons88-
(Veronica Yeoh)

Edited by Verons88, 11 November 2006 - 09:19 PM.

Veronica Yeoh

#10 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:32 PM

You wrote

*What will happen if I cant escape the BIOS system windows?

Personally, I've never heard of such a case. To escape the BIOS, all you do is hit the Esc key. The BIOS will be easier than you think once you're inside. Worse comes to worst, you can hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and it'll reboot, or you can simply power it down by hitting the power button. You won't hurt anything by doing either of them.

You wrote

*What changes shall I make?

In the BIOS (depending on your actual screen of it) you want it to boot from the cd. There will be a list of devices (hardware attached to the computer) that will list the ORDER in which the computer looks for the boot file. You will have IDE-0, IDE-1, IDE-2, IDE-3, Floppy, CDROM, and a few other devices.. Most all computers boot from IDE-0, which is the primary/master.

On one of my computers, you'll have to make these changes in the Advanced Setup area. Once you find your devices, you are looking for:

1st Boot Device
2nd Boot Device
3rd Boot Device

On the 1st Boot Device, your is probably going to say IDE-0. Change it to say CDROM.. only when you're ready to reinstall/reformat the drive. Once you change the settings, press the F10 button so it'll save it, and reboot for you. There should be a legend inside to tell you what actual keys you'll need to hit to make the changes and to reboot. But the ones I mentioned are the most common and the most standard.

But remember..... after your computer is up and installed, you must go back into the BIOS and change the 1st Boot Device back to IDE-0, which will be your hard drive. And, make sure that when you change your devices, they all display something different and not the same thing.

You wrote

*Which prompts shall I follow?(what to change and what to remain)

Besides what I mentioned, you shouldn't have to change anything else.

As far as the questions are concerned, how else are you going to learn? It's no problem at all to help out. My father would always tell me this: "A closed mouth will never be fed". With saying that, I always knew to ask questions whever I needed answers. I ask for help on issues everyday. I'm still in need of answers for many issues, but it's a pleasure to help others along my journey to getting my answers.

#11 Garcher

Garcher

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:16 PM

I just used partition magic to add some of my D hard drive to C. It worked great and I didn't back-up my drive. If you are thinking up formating you drive anyways, I would try the partition program you have first and see if it does what you want. Maybe it will do a good job and prevent you from the format.

#12 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:27 AM

Thanks Walkman & Garcher for the reply and tips.

Regd *What will happen if I cant escape the BIOS system windows?* , I saw my friend once fomat a windows98. Whatever he press at the BIOS, was replied with "bad command or file name" But that was long ago.
Anyway, I really appreciate your sharing of your knowledge here, walkman. U are right, a closed mouth will never be fed. U will see me popping in here more often, lol.

To Garcher, I think Im going to give partition magic a try 1st, u r right. Worse come to worst, I have walkman's guide to reformat.

-verons88- :thumbsup:
(Veronica Yeoh)
Veronica Yeoh

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:28 AM

In general, your BIOS will prompt you to either accept or not accept the changes that you've made to it. If you don't accept the changes you'll be able to exit the BIOS setup and reboot with no problems.

In the event that you do make a mistake, the easy solution is to reset your BIOS to the default values> Simply unplug the computer from the wall, then remove the battery from the motherboard. Then wait 30 minutes. Put the battery back in, plug it back into the wall and it'll start right back up.

What you describe of your friends experience with Windows 98 sounds like they had made a bad choice for a setting in the BIOS - so just follow the second paragraph here to clear that mistake.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:46 AM

Thanks usasma. Appreciate your usefull tips for escaping the BIOS.

Regards;
-veronica yeoh- :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users